69. Stay

SORRY, it's been too long!!!

"You can't choose what stays and what fades away
And I'd do anything to make you stay"
No Light, No Light - Florence + The Machine
-

The night is over, and Alex has barely slept yet again. She wasn't sure if it was because of Daryl, but she's most definitely sure it had something to do with sleeping in a place that was ruled by Negan. She wasn't comforted at all by that fact. Even when they had Negan back and locked up at Alexandria, it was all uneasy.

Alex, Rick and Michonne leave the sanctuary with Daryl and head to hilltop once the morning comes. They travel on their own; Daryl on his motorcycle of course, and the other three ride their light caramel colored horses. Rick assured Alex that things will be okay once they get to Hilltop. They wouldn't stay long and they would use their time there to make sure Alex and Alexandria gets the help they need.

As soon as they arrive, the tall doors open and their horses are brought safely to their stopping place.

Alex tries not to search for Maggie, but her heart was aching to see Hershel. Her best friend's son. As soon as she jumps off her horse, she walks towards Rick and Michonne who are standing by Daryl. In a distance, she sees Maggie and Jesus making there way towards them, a person in a wheelchair was slowly following them.

As Alex reaches everyone, a gasp leaves her mouth.

"Enid." Alex says, leaning down by her side. "What happened Maggie?"

Maggie turns to Alex and shakes her head. "It's Gregory. Again. Rick, Alex... I'll take you upstairs. Jesus needs to discuss things with Michonne. I'll see you later, yeah?" She instructs as she says a goodbye to Daryl.

"Jesus." Alex smiles, as he reaches for a hug. "It's good to see you."

"It's always good to see you, Lex." He squeezes, then lets go with a smile. "I hope you're doing okay?"

Alex nods her head, shrugging as an answer.

"Things will get better. Just got to hang on to hope, alright."

"Thank you," she smiles at him, "I'll try to. There's not much left. I'll see you in a bit."

Alex catches up to Maggie and Rick, walking up the stairs inside the Hilltop home. She leads them into her office, and then outside on the porch where she had a woman watch her child.

Maggie relieved the woman, and took Hershel in her arms, passing him over to Rick. "Hey there."

"He's starting to crawl." Maggie says. "He'd be proud of him."

"They all would." Rick says, as the baby coos and extends his arms towards Alex. "Ah you want your godmother instead? Alright, I'm not mad."

Maggie lets out a small laugh as she watches Rick hand over Hershel jr. to Alex.

"You look so much like your dad." Alex says, holding him in his harms as his arms flail around before landings his little baby hands on Alex's cheek. She laughs, and then leaves a kiss on his forehead.

"It's funny. And he knows it." Maggie says. "He's a little stinker."

"He's perfect." Rick says.