65. To Hilltop, Again

"I've seen the red, I've seen the blue. Take all of me deep to where your secrets hide."
Lover of Mine, 5SOS

"You're hurt, Lex. I'm not going to have you-"

"Just because my leg is numb and I'm in pain, doesn't mean I shouldn't try and doesn't mean I can't."

Daryl huffs out in annoyance, "That's not what I mean, and you know that Alex."

"Oh, Alex..." she repeats the way he said her name. "Gonna say my full name next and deny me leadership, Mr. Dixon?"

Tara chuckles from behind them, earning a glare from Daryl as he turns his back. "I don't think right now is a good time to be joking around." Rosita speaks.

"Blame Daryl, he's repressing my leadership skills."

"Alex.."

"See." Alex rolls her eyes.

"Alright guys, lets just keep it moving, yeah?" Tara asks, holding onto Alex. "Daryl, she'll be fine. I'll watch her back as she watches yours."

He nods his head, again mostly likely in annoyance. He loves her, but now wasn't the time for a conversation like this. They needed to safely get to hilltop and without any of the saviors seeing them. The follow each other through the woods, Daryl leading them because he knows how to track things and people.

With Tara helping Alex walk, she couldn't take her eyes off of the back of Daryl. Obviously, she had important things to think about, especially being safe and aware. But the thought of Daryl keeping Dwight alive and with everyone thinking about Negan and his men, things were rough.

Daryl continued to lead the way, ensuring everyone's safety by making quiet moves and potentially good decisions. They were underneath a bridge, walking quietly in a line. Eventually, Rosita had pleaded for Daryl to stop so they could all catch their breaths and rest for a moment.

He had looked at Tobin who was holding Judith in his arms. He wanted to get her to safety like he had promised to Rick earlier. But, deep down he knew that in order for them to actually reach Hilltop on foot, they needed the energy. Instead of dropping their things right then and there, Daryl had promised they'd stop in a safer place, a little bit farther than the bridge they were under.

Eventually, Alex had called out to Daryl, telling him that this was far enough, that they were far enough. Just ten minutes, just a few moments to gather up some strength.

"Alright." Daryl said. "Gotta cover our tracks, retrace em."

"I'll come with." Rosita states and walks ahead with Daryl, leaving Dwight's tied up hands with another person from our group.

Tara leans down with Alex, making sure she doesn't hurt her leg more than it already is. "You alright there?"

"Thank you Tara." She replies. "I think I'm getting used to get hurt."

They laugh with each other for a moment until Tara crosses her legs and looks at Alex in the eyes. "Do... do you think he should be dead?"

"Who, Dwight?"

"Yeah."

"I'm not saying he should be forgiven, but Tara, I think death is too easy for them."

She stays silent, nitpicking at her shoelaces below her.

"I'm only going to tell you this," Alex begins to speak, "I think these people, should stay alive long enough to see the pain they've caused. We're family, they messed with our family."