Goodbye

They approach the platform with slow steps, the train has already arrived and is just waiting for the exact time that signals it's departure to approach.
Surprisingly, the two boys have managed to come quite on time. Not too early, and not too late.

However, today it is just Hinata who is going to leave the city.
Tokyo
Their new home town, after they have graduated from highschool and a university has accepted both of them.
They are living in the dorms but life is good.

The omega leaves the city to visit his family. Tomorrow will be his sister's, Natsu's twelfth birthday. And on top of that his grandmother is celebrating her ninetieth birthday.
That's why they will all stay at her house in the very north of Japan, where his family originally comes from.
His whole family will be at the big country house.
He really doesn't want to miss out on this event. It's been a while since he has last seen his cousins and other family members.
So he has to miss out on his lectures and volleyball practice for the week.
He has talked with his coach and two of the week days are Japanese national days.
So it should be fine.

Kageyama has asked if he should tag along since Natsu is very fond of him and likes him a lot. She even considers him a second brother; always calling him "Tobio-niichan" (much to his embarrassment).
But Hinata also knows that his mate has a very important exam coming up. So he politely waved it off, telling him that it's fine as long as he comes to visit her another time that year.
She will hopefully understand and be happy nonetheless since the two boys have also made her a small present together.

So that's the reason why they're standing at the platform, face to face, looking at each other.
Hinata with a small bagpack, hanging off his shoulders, littered full of different cute designs and of course a volleyball keychain dangling at its side.
Kageyama is still in his training shorts, since he just came from a jog but wanted to join Hinata and give him a proper goodbye.

Seven days is not even a particularly long time, but for the last years they haven't been apart for many occasions; one could say that they are codependent but they are really just two dumbasses who love each other a lot.
Hinata has no problem in staying over at a friend's house for the night, chatting and having fun together. He's quite the social type so he even craves having a bunch of social contacts and staying in contact with them.
Kageyama on the other side is just fine with having a few, but good friends. To be real, he prefers to stay by himself some days.
However at the end of the day, they will always search for each other, needing the closeness and familiarity that comes with being mated for many years.

They love each other so dearly and wouldn't survive being completely separated from each other.

But one week will be fine Kageyama thought.
They can still text and call each other. Also, he surely knows he's safe. His mate will just spend some time with his family.

Hinata interrupts him from his train of thoughts, pulling him downwards to smack his lips onto his.
"I have to go now, dumbass"
You can see a small hint of sadness in his eyes. But he plays it over with a smile on his lips.

The alpha blinks, looking down at his mate and only responding with a mere "yeah"
Of course, he can say his thoughts out loud, tell him that he will miss him, miss his smile, his idiotic remarks, the kisses, their seemingly endless conversations about volleyball, their cuddles, playful arguments and much much more.
Though the alpha knows that in the end Hinata thinks the same.

The omega shares his feelings. He doesn't want to part, leaving his mate and be separated by many hundreds of kilometres.
The train ride takes a few hours and any second and minute meant that they were getting further apart.

But they have to grow up and be able to travel on their own.
They are both twenty years old, having been mated for a bit less than three years. Maybe it is the honeymoon stage they are still in, maybe it is still the fact that they are both playing such an important role for each other. Some days it seems like the other one is basically the centre of the universe.
It is perhaps infuriating or perhaps wonderful.

"I'll call you tonight, okay?" the omega asks but it is more of a statement than a question.
Kageyama just repeats his earlier response, still a bit preoccupied with all the thoughts in his mind.
Asking himself whether he should say anymore or stay silent.
Does Hinata expect him to say anything? Will he be mad if he doesn't?

"And we can skype tomorrow. Natsu will want to see your stupid face". Hinata grins and nudges at his partner's nose, also wanting him to get that ugly frown off his face.
For a few moments they stay silent.
It is just them exchanging seemingly everything but also nothing through just staring at each other eyes.

They are interrupted as the speaker turn on, signalling that the train is about to depart.

Hinata quickly turns around to see the last few people entering.
So the omega does what he has to do in a time span of only seconds, giving his mate a last big hug, a kiss on the cheek and and a wide smile before shouting "bye, love you!" and waving his hands as he got into the train.
Kageyama stands there, not moving, only slowly reaching his hand up to wave back a bit.
"I- I love you too,... dumbass"

The omega chuckles at that. The door of the train closes and the engine starts.