Chapter 28 : Siegfried de Chauvegné

Start from the beginning

--

The wind blew hard, his short hair fluttering with the wind. Auburn eyes glowered under the castle walls, looking at the harsh cold ground in the deep of the gorge.

His steps made little sound, a light pitter-patter, yet he felt as if his legs were like lead, dragging him down, making it harder for him to walk.

His feet were already at the end of the high walls, only a step separated him from his solicited death.

Tears were rolling down his cheeks, his emotions falling all over the place.

Happiness, hopelessness, loneliness, uneasiness, doubt.

And through it all, he was certain of one thing.

He was going to die today.

A person with no identity, nor name, will die today.

He lifted his foot up and stepped.

But there was nothing left to stand on.

His whole body lurched forward, falling and falling. He felt the wind blow against him, his heart beating louder and louder while he fell.

He told himself that finally, he was able to be at peace, he tried to convince himself, that this was the right thing to do.

Even still, his heart was telling him something different, his mind was telling him that this was wrong.

In his final moments, he realized.

He had made a mistake.

He still wanted to live, to thrive and to prove those bastards that he will never be one of their sacrificial lambs.

But it was too late.

He closed his eyes, awaiting the bone-crunching impact of the ground. His back stiffened, his whole body trembling.

Right when he thought he was nearing his death, he felt something, like a cloth, stopping his fall.

Hard grunts were heard from all of his sides, the cloth straining behind his back.

He opened his eyes. Looking above, he could see the top of the wall where he previously stood. Auburn eyes glanced around, he noticed different men clad in the same uniform as his holding on to each end of the wide cloth. From his left, he could see a man with dark hair and silver eyes, whereas, from his right, a man with blonde hair and golden eyes was breathing heavily.

He fell on the ground with a light thud. His whole body shivered with the thought of his fortunate unsuccessful demise. 

The man on his left had his brows scrunched up and lips set into a scowl, looking deeply annoyed. 

"You stupid rascal. Ingrateful fool. Skull-headed freak-"

The man on his right laughed heartily while slapping the man on his left on the back. The slap seemed like it hurt when it sharply sounded, making the man on his left lurch forward, making him out of breath.

"Don't mind my friend's mouth. He speaks quite uniquely so people tend to get intimidated, but he really means no harm."

The man with golden hair smiled energetically while he held his hands on his hips.

"But don't you worry, I, a one-of-a-kind-never-before-seen scholar is here to translate the ancient-almost-extinct language for you!"

The golden-haired man inched closer to him. The man's figure towered before him, the smile on the man's face suddenly turning stiff and cold.