1. When time is right

Start from the beginning

Everyone is coming to our house soon. I don’t feel like seeing anyone. It would have been better if my cousin didn’t bring over all his six children who always jump all over the place. I hate to be reminded of how we used to be just like them. I’ll do it for Tom’s sake. I can celebrate his birthday, I’m not that mean.

I give myself a last look in the mirror. I haven’t been outside our pack territory since I was attacked, but Princess gave me some of her old clothes from the cities. I like the uniforms we are using in the Ninjan Pack, but it’s nice to wear skirts and dresses too. I’m wearing a blue cute dress that shows my long tanned legs. Princess is a lot shorter than me so it probably looked more decent on her than it does on me.

I hear the first guests arrive and the others show up not long after. I hide around my room as long as possible before making my entrance. I leave my sanctuary, also known as my room, silently. 

There’s a long table in the garden, but none is sitting by it yet. They are talking in groups and the children are playing. I love the garden and I spend a lot of my time keeping it in perfect condition. I usually help our neighbours with theirs. I still haven’t decided if I should study to become a real gardener.

Princess meet’s my eyes with a huge smile. It shows how happy she is that I’m alive. Mother told me how I would have died if Princess didn’t find me that day and carried me in her arms to the hospital. She’s always been my hero. 

She’s so cute. Her hair is hanging freely today and her mate succeeded in making her wear a dark green dress. My sister isn’t much for wearing anything else than her uniform, but she’s weak to Vincent’s wishes. He’s a really great husband to her. It’s hard to believe that she is an amazing fighter and master of two packs.

I walk up to her quickly and she hugs me.

“Happy birthday Mary!” she says excitedly and shoves me into Vincent’s arms.

“Thank you,” I say politely after both their hugs. “How are things in the Northwall Pack? I was afraid you wouldn’t make it back for today.”

“That’s because they have an Alpha who refuses to let go,” Vincent says with a teasing grin towards his wife.

“Hey!” Princess growls. “I will never pick a pack over my own family.” 

“She’s so cute when she’s annoyed,” Vincent says to me.

“Indeed she is,” I answer him seriously.

“I’m standing right here!” she sneers at us and I smile sadly at her.

“Forgive us, Alpha Ray,” I tell her respectfully. “We don’t know any better. Let us hope we won’t upset you next time.”

“Kids!” I hear Mother’s voice loud and clearly across the garden. “Behave.”

All conversations stops and everyone bow their heads in respect for the legendary teacher. My Mother is very strict and she knows what she’s doing. I still wonder why Alpha Bear picked my sister to become the successor to this pack and not Mother.

I and Tom break out in a loud laugh and we smile brightly at each other. The day we will behave just because Mother asked us too will never happen. I don’t want to be happy but sometimes it’s hard to prevent. Especially when it’s something between Tom and me.

“Mom, where’s my car?” he demands casually and I can feel how my best friend Leanne swoons at the sight of him.

My brother is good looking with his light brown hair and well trained body. He didn’t leave the pack after he graduated. He decided to patrol our pack grounds and I usually go with him. Leanne is his mate but they never actually did something about the whole mate thing. She became my best friend and I guess she is friends with Tom too. It’s weird that he didn’t jump her yet, but it’s like he’s not interested. No he would never reject her. I just don’t think he’s ready to have a girlfriend yet.