Ex-Girlfriend

This is trash, but I don't want you to forget about me while I'm in the hospital. But hey, I almost made it through, only six more weeks! 

Love you guys!

Lauren couldn't really understand what happened. All she knew was that you had a terrible accident and was sent to the hospital immediately. You barely survived. Her heart broke at the thought of that. Even though you two broke up a year ago and she had a new girlfriend, you still held her heart, or at least most of it. Her new girl didn't know much about you, Lauren tried to avoid the subject, thinking that it could reopen wounds and making her live through the same heartbreak again.

The two of you loved each other fiercely, but both of you had problems and knew that you couldn't be together until you figured them out. So you settled that if you sorted everything out, you could maybe try it again. Lauren found someone else, just so she could get over you, but she actually liked her company, so they tried a real relationship. Still, you were a sour topic for her and whenever her new girlfriend mentioned you, they ended up having a fight.

On the way to the hospital Leah bombarded her with questions why it was so important to be one of the first persons at the hospital. It was her ex-girlfriend and a casual visit would be okay. Lauren didn't take that well and tried to ignore her, but she wouldn't stop.

"Why is this woman so important to you?" Leah asked, annoyed.

"Because Y/N is not just some woman, she is special," Lauren told her, feeling frustrated because the brunette just wouldn't understand.

"Lauren, you broke up a year ago. Isn't it weird when you show up this early?"

Lauren gripped the steering wheel until her knuckles turned white. "I think her sister told me because she wanted me to be there this early."

Leah sighed impatiently. "That's another thing! Why are you one of the first people she tells that?"

"Y/N and I have a long story. I know her family well, that's why."

This made her shut up apparently, because she didn't say a word afterwards and solemnly followed Lauren when she rushed through the halls to find you.

When she spotted your sister, she speed walked over to her and hugged her tight. "How is she? Is she awake? How are you? God, how is Julia?"

Lou wiped her eyes and smiled gratefully at Lauren. "Mom is okay, I guess. She puts on a hard front, though. You know how she is. Y/N is awake, but weak, I hope she can make it through the night."

Lauren's heart ached, she smiled sadly at your sister. "Of course she will. It's Y/N after all, she's a fighter."

"I'm so glad you came. Mom is also pretty happy, she thinks it might help Y/N to see you, to see what she's fighting for."

Blushing Lauren hid her face. "She is fighting for you guys."

"And for you."

"Uhm, excuse me?" Leah interrupted and earned a glare from Lou, who only noticed her now. "Why is she fighting for my girlfriend?"

"Leah, this really isn't the place to be jealous," Lauren sighed, hoping she would just stop.

"I wouldn't have to be jealous if you would just give up on her! You are my girlfriend now, not hers!" Leah raised her voice and her face turned red.

Lou chuckled behind Lauren. "Good god Lauren, where did you find her?"

Dismissing the older sibling, she turned to Leah. "Listen, Y/N and I have been friends before we broke up and like I said, I know her family well, so of course I'm here to support my friend and her family. Is there something wrong with that?"

"When that friend is your ex, yes, there is something wrong with that!"

"God Leah, she could die!" Saying that out loud, hurt Lauren even more. Tears welled up in her eyes.

"She's your ex, for god's sake!"

"Maybe you should be!" Lauren breathed heavily and for a second everything was quiet.

Leah opened and closed her mouth for a few times, seeming not to know what to say. Anger flamed up in her eyes.

Lou intervened and stood between the two women. "I think it's your cue to leave, honey."

Lauren turned away, showing the woman that she agreed with Lou. Angry Leah stomped down the hallway, cursing while she left.

"Holy! What was that?" Lou asked when she was out of eyesight.

"That was Leah. I know, I know," Lauren laughed quietly. "Can I see Y/N now?"

Lou smiled softly and showed her the room. You lay there with a lot of tubes, bruises and band-aids. Lauren's breath hitched, tears stung in her green eyes. She couldn't believe it. The woman she loved, no, the woman she loves, laying there, looking as though she was dead. She walked over, gently taking your hand in hers. A tear dropped on your hand.

"Oh god Y/N... What did you do?" Lauren asked with a cracking voice.

Without opening your eyes you responded, surprising Lauren. "Actually, it wasn't my fault."

The slight smirk on your lips made Lauren laugh a bit. "I'm going to take care of your from now on. Apparently you can't be on your own."

"I can't be without you," you countered.

"And I can't be without you."