Family Dinner

I am baaaaaack.

"Okay Baby, don't say anything mean or inappropriate, yeah?" Lauren asks the little girl in front of her, then briefly looks at her wife

"Yes mamá, I know. You told me that for like... five times," the seven-year-old replies.

"Just checking," the woman defends herself then mumbles a quick "on your mom" and grabs the last few things.

Her wife sighs and looks up from her phone. "Lauren do I really have to come with you? I mean, they're only interested in you and Elaine anyway. Thus I'm not really needed there, you know?"

Lauren glares at the other woman. "Y/N if you ask me that one more time, I swear to god I'll punch you in the face."

Y/N hands shoot up in defence and she takes a step back. Yes, Lauren is very intimidating and Y/N isn't too keen on playing around.

"You are my wife. You are my daughter's, our daughter's, mother. Of course, they'll be interested in you," Lauren continues and puts her hand on her wife's cheek.

"Your parents will be interested in me, the rest of your family doesn't like me that much. Remember your aunt cried at our wedding?" Y/N says and quirks an eyebrow. Lauren bites her lip and nods. But before she can say anything else, Elaine interrupts her.

"Can we please leave now? I'm hungry," she whines and Y/N laughs.

"Yeah me too and I want to have something of your abuelita's food. Let's go kiddo," she tells her daughter and they both leave the house. Y/N holding Elaine's little and tells her about something. Elaine looks at her mom like she put the stars in the sky. Lauren smiles at the sight and leaves after them.

—————————————————

Y/N thinks she dies of boredom. If she has to listen to one more stupid golf-trip story, she might throw up.

Out of the corner of her eye, she notices that someone watches her. The same aunt who cried at her wedding. Because "how can you marry someone like her, darling?". Sure, she asks herself as well how she deserved someone like Lauren, but still, that was rude. Anyway, the elder was watching her and it got onto her nerves.

Then she addressed the younger woman. "So Y/N, what are you doing for living again? Do you work at all?"

Laurens eyes meet Y/Ns from the other side of the room and await her wife's reaction. "I'm a tattoo artist," Y/N responds easily. "I opened my own shop earlier this year."

Elaine grins and jumps up and down. "Yeah, my mom draws on other peoples skin!"

"Oh wow... but don't you think it's time for a real job? I mean you have to feed a family," the older woman says and looks at her wine glass.

"I have a real job and I can feed my family pretty well, also Lauren has a decent job, too. I think we are covered. But thank you for your concern," Y/N tells her and gives her a fake smile while cocking her head to the side. Everybody is listening by now.

"But you do realize that you're giving your daughter the wrong message right?" The elder looks around to emphasize her question.

"Excuse me?"

"I mean, a tattoo artist? What kind of job is that?"

The room is quiet and Y/N is shocked. Suddenly a young voice is heard. "You suck."

Every head turns to Elaine. Lauren's eyes widen and the artist starts laughing like a maniac. "God, I love that child. Good job, kiddo."

Lauren decides to speak up now. "I think we should leave. I'm sorry that I dragged your here Baby."

Clara shakes her head. "No mija, I think Martha should leave." Y/N smiles at Laurens mother thankfully. The woman smiled back and pats her shoulder. "You didn't do anything wrong, darling. Please stay."

Laurens dad, Mike, steps into the picture and glares at Martha. "You need to leave. Now. Anybody who thinks the same as her leaves as well. Thank you," he states and then smiles as Elaine as if nothing happened. "And you my precious little princess, are coming with me."

Elaine smiles happily and follows Mike into the kitchen, to get ice cream probably.

—————————————————

It's late when you arrive home and Elaine fell asleep in the backseat. Y/N turns to Lauren, but without looking at her. "Lauren, are you ever scared that I can't afford our lifestyle anymore?"

Lauren looks at her, confused. "What? No! Even if not, I know you, you would do everything so Elaine and I would have the best."

"Yeah but, do you ever think that... ah, you know what? Nevermind."

"Babe..."

Y/N sighs and drops her head, tears threatening to fall. "Do you ever think that you made the wrong choice? To marry me, I mean?" she whispers.

Lauren's heart breaks at this. How can her wife think something like that? "Of course not! Don't listen to my aunt. She's old and crazy," she says, but notices that it doesn't help. She takes Y/Ns hands in hers and smiles at her. "You are the best thing that ever happened to me. Well, besides Elaine of course, but you are the cause for that, so..."

Finally, Y/N laughs quietly and looks at her wife. "Thank you. For being with me. For giving me a chance back then."

"It was the best decision I ever made. Even though you made it hard for me," Lauren laughs.

Y/N laughs now as well but stops when her daughter stirs in her sleep. "Yeah, I know... Let's go inside, yeah?"

They both leave the car and while Y/N brings Elaine into her room Lauren turns everything off and walks upstairs. Just when she was about getting into their bedroom she hears Y/Ns voice.

"You are important. You are smart. You are beautiful. You and your mom are the most important things in my life. I love you," the woman tells her daughter and Lauren melts. This was just too cute.

"I never knew that you tell her things like that," she says quietly and startles the other woman.

"Every night."

"Why?"

"I never want her to feel that she isn't all those things."

"You are a great mother, Y/N. And the perfect wife."

"You pushed me to be the best version I can be, so this is all your doing."

"I love you so much," Lauren tells her wife and smiles through happy tears.

Y/N walks up to her and wraps her into a hug. "I love you too. Let's go to bed."

Lauren never slept better. In the arms of her wife and their daughter in the room next to her.

"Oh, by the way, don't think I didn't notice that Elaine cursed."

Shit.

Hope you liked it. ENJOY YOUR DAY OR YOUR NIGHT YOU BEAUTIFUL HUMANS