Turn me on

The end is kinda rushed, sorry

Lauren was nervous on her first day

Lauren was nervous on her first day. A new job is never easy, but this her first real job, so this was even more difficult. She photographed for friends and for some local events, but never for a magazine. The heads of the small independent magazine saw her photographs and called her to ask if she wanted to try out for them. They needed new, young, fresh minds. Lauren immediately liked the magazine. She never heard of it before, but couldn't understand why. Well, maybe because it was a liberal political magazine. Exactly what she would read. So they send her out and told her to take pictures of people. Real people. The young photographer did just that and the heads were very pleased with the outcome and she got the job.

"So Lauren, everyone here is around the same age as you. We have some journalists who are older, but most of us are in their mid thirties," one of her new co-workers told her and smiled. "What I want to say is, we are a fairly young team." Lauren chuckled at his small excuse. He lead her into a huge office. It looked rather cozy and everybody seemed very chill. No one wore a suit or anything else. When they reached one table the guy tapped a woman on her shoulder, because she couldn't hear his calling.

When she turned around Laurens breath hitched and she could feel herself heating up. "Yes?" The woman asked. She seemed to be in the same age as Lauren.

"Y/N this is Lauren, she's our new photographer. You'll be working with her on the new issue," he addressed her and then turned to Lauren. "This is Y/N. She's our creative director and sometimes takes her job too serious, so don't listen to her all the time."

"Um, I can hear you, Jackson," the designer deadpanned and shot him a blank look.

He visibly gulped and wished their new employee good luck and darted out of the open office. Lauren desperately looked after him, clearly nervous and intimidated by the other woman.

Suddenly a loud laugh echoed through the room. "You really did it again, huh? Poor Jackson," another woman chuckled to herself and Y/N grinned at her. Even though Lauren was scared shitless, she couldn't help but think that her smile was adorable.

"Come on Dinah. It is just too easy!" She laughed as well and turned to the newbie. "Hello Lauren, I'm Y/N and I am not a bitch."

"It's so sad that you have to introduce yourself like that Y/N," a dark skinned woman said and patted her on the shoulder. Y/N swiftly spun around on her chair and looked at her co-worker.

"Hey! This is just a too good opportunity to pass on! Also, he's a dick," she exclaimed and then turned back to Lauren. "He really is. He'll hit on you later this week."

"Probably. I'm Dinah by the way," the woman from earlier walked over and extended her hand.

"Hello Dinah, I'm Lauren," Lauren smiled gratefully at the tall woman.

"This is Normani and over there are Ally and Camilla," Dinah explained and pointed to the other side of the office.

"It's Cameela!" A beautiful brunette shouted and everyone laughed. She got hit by the shorter, but equally beautiful woman next to her.

"I'm Ally. It's very nice to meet you Lauren. I hope you enjoy your new workplace," Ally introduced herself politely and smiled at Lauren.

Lauren thanked all of them and sat down at her new table and organized it.

"Psst, Lauren," Y/N whispered and ducked her head to avoid anybody seeing her.

Lauren did the same and looked around. "Yes?"

"Welcome to the island of the unloved toys," Y/N quoted and genuinely smiled at her.

In that very moment Lauren felt the first time butterflies erupt from the pit of her stomach. Heat rises to her cheeks and she looked down, smiling to herself. "Thank you."

— — — — — —

Three months later

"Y/N, do you have any hobbies?" Lauren asked while she worked on some photos.

Y/N leaned to the right and looked past her Mac at Lauren. "Um, art?"

Lauren did the same and quirked her eyebrow. "I mean something besides your job, idiot." The two woman became really good friends after Lauren came over her first shock and now they were practically attached to the hip.

Before Y/N could answer, Dinah interrupted her. "She can sing!"

"You can?" Laurens eyes widened.

"No."

"Please sing for meeee."

"No."

"Come on, for your favorite Cuban."

"I am her favorite Cuban!" Camila chipped in, but Lauren shushed her.

"Please Y/N!"

And soon everybody asked for Y/N to sing.

"Okay, okay..." Y/N said and silently prepared herself for the small audience. She roamed through her mind to find a good song. A song that could maybe tell Lauren how she felt... In a not so obvious way of course.

"Let me hold you, girl, caress my body
You got me going crazy, you
Turn me on, turn me on
Let me jam you, girl whip all around me
You got me going crazy, you
Turn me on, turn me on"

Lauren blushed like crazy and avoided Y/Ns eyes. She sighed and looked down at her sketch book and continued to work.

For the rest of the day Lauren didn't talk to the other woman and completely avoided her. It hurt  her heart, because she knew that Lauren understood the message and apparently didn't feel the same for Y/N.

"Okay guys, I'm leaving. I have a date with an half finished bottle of wine," Y/N said when she packed her stuff and got up from her seat.

Just before she left, Lauren called out her name. "Y/N! Wait!" She quickly run up to her and kissed Y/Ns cheek. "You turn me on as well."

Y/Ns face turned crimson and Lauren laughed at her reaction. "Can I take you out tomorrow? After your date with that wine, though."

"Of course you can," Y/N replied and smiled at the woman in front of her. "Around 8 pm?"

"Sounds perfect," Lauren kissed her cheek again, but this time very close to Y/Ns mouth. "See you tomorrow, babe."