ROAD TRIP

So, the first verse is actually my life haha, but sadly there is no Lauren who is taking me on a road trip. Anyway, I hope you like it and there will be a part 2!

Enjoy reading!

My life wasn't really what you would call "the dream"

My life wasn't really what you would call "the dream". I was seeing a therapist since I'm 15 and lately I felt even worse than I was used to. After some time friends found me and told me that I needed to find some better treatment, I should go to a clinic, trying to truly get better. It took some convincing, but after they told me that thinking about killing yourself is not really what other 20 year olds do, I agreed and went with them. I had to stay for a month and it really wasn't enough time, I didn't know how to continue with my life. To top it all, my long time girlfriend and I broke up. While I was still in the clinic. It felt like there was no way out and when I was back in the "real world", I went back to my old habits. Drinking and taking drugs was on my everyday agenda. Until she found me.

Lauren was seriously the light my life needed. She just sat down next to me and took my drink away, replacing it with a glass of water.

"I think you need that a bit more. And maybe someone to talk to," she told me and I scoffed, telling her I was already seeing someone for this. "Actually I meant someone who would give you some kind of comfort. Maybe a hug or something. Therapists normally don't do that." I chuckled and then spilled everything. It surprised me how easy it was to tell her, some foreign woman, all my problems, maybe it was the alcohol. She listened, without a word and when I finished I partly expected her to just leave, but she didn't.

"I won't tell you that I'm sorry, because I think you heard that enough, but I really think you need someone. Just to be there, no complications, just a emotional support," she told me and she was just right about everything. It was awesome how a stranger just understood me so well. Looking back to it, maybe that was the moment I fell in love with her. I just laughed humorlessly. "Yeah, but I don't have that."

Lauren shrugged, staring at her painted nails. "I'm pretty free, you know. I'm going on a road trip tomorrow, alone. Maybe you should join me."

"Okay now you just sound crazy. I don't even know you and you don't know me. Why the heck would I join you on a fucking road trip? Alone?" I asked her, feeling confused and unsure. She laughed. It was a beautiful sight to see. 

"You're right, it does sound crazy. But I mean it well. You see, I wanted to do that trip with my ex, but well, we broke up and I refuse to let it stop my plans."

"Oh I see, you want to get into my pants," I stated.

"What? No! That wasn't what I wanted to say. It's just... I need a companion and you need someone who's there for you. Let's call it bonding time, if you like that better," Lauren suggested and looked at me with pleading eyes.

Thinking about it, I couldn't find a reason not to go. I mean, I was alone, I needed distraction and I needed to get away from all of this. It seemed like the perfect opportunity and it didn't hurt that Lauren looked like a fucking goddess. So I gave her my address and phone number. She would pick me up at 6am.

And she did. And I felt like shit because I had the worst hangover ever. And it was way too early. 

Lauren thought of this and brought me a smoothie. "I thought you might need this. Mangoes help hangovers. Also I prepared you a sandwich, I didn't know if you're a vegetarian or something, so I just left the meat out. I hope that's okay."

I just stared at her in awe. This was the best thing someone ever did for me. I didn't know what to say, so I just went with the stupidest thing I could think of. "I'm a vegetarian, thank you."

She beamed at me and started the engine. "Okay let's go to Alaska!"

Nearly spilling my drink I looked at her with wide eyes. "What? Alaska?"

"Yeah, I always wanted to go there," Lauren explained like she just told me we would go to the mall.

"Lauren, Alaska is on the other side of the continent."

"I don't see the problem, I have a car and a tent, I even found a second sleeping bag!" She told me excitedly. I couldn't keep the frown on my face and chuckled at her eagerness.

"Here we come Alaska, I guess," I mumbled and looked at the rising sun.

At first it was tense and the car was filled with an awkward silence. But Lauren just turned the music up and started to sing along. She had a beautiful voice, so I just closed my eyes and listened to her raspy voice.

Apparently I started to mumble the words to a song and she nudged me. "Sing louder!" I shook my head and blushed. "Oh come on! I'm taking you to Alaska. Sing for me."

Sighing I started to sing a bit louder and when Bohemian Rhapsody was blasting, both of us sang from the top of our lungs. It was so much fun that I forgot about my terrible hangover and that I didn't even know the woman next to me.

"Let's play 20 questions," I stated and she nodded her head, eyes on the road. "Cats or dogs?"

"Dogs, definitely. Okay... favorite color?"

"Green, but the beautiful green you can find in forests or something like that..." or like the green of your beautiful eyes, I thought to myself.  "Full name? Just to make sure," I joked and she shot me a playful glare.

"Lauren Michelle Jauregui Morgado, do you want my insurance number as well?" She laughed and we continued to play for the next hour. It was fun to get to know her. She seemed like a wonderful person.

"Lauren do you want me to drive? I mean, you drove for the past few hours without a stop. You should rest," I asked her and really hoped she would take a break.

"Wasn't I the one to take care of you?" she shook her head, but agreed and said she would stop in the next 20 minutes.

When I was driving she constantly told me how bad of a driver I was. Like seriously, every fucking second. "Lauren could you shut up now? I know how to drive and I won't stop until you finally sleep!" She mumbled something under her breath and I raised my eyebrow at her. "Excuse me?"

"Nothing, I'm sleeping now so I don't have to see this anymore."

Lauren sure was a heavy sleeper. She didn't notice me putting gas in the car, or getting us something to eat, or making a few stops so I could smoke a cigarette. Just when I stopped the car at a camping place, she woke up.

"What are we doing?" she asked sleepy.

"I'm going to kill you now," I said, sounding dead serious and Lauren's eyes shot open. Her expression was so hilarious that I had to laugh. "I was joking! It's late and I'm tired. Also the car needs some rest. Let's just call it a night?"

She shook her head, but got out of the car. Confused, I followed her. "I slept for like, 4 hours straight, there's no way I can sleep now. Let's just switch again and you can sleep. We're just past Atlanta and still have a lot to go."

I raised my eyebrow when she yawned and told her just to get the sleeping bags and the tent out of the car. Surprisingly she did as I told her and put the tent up. After a while she called me and said that we could go to sleep. Stretching I yawned as well. "Finally. Thank you for putting everything up."

We both laid down and talked for a bit until Lauren fell asleep while I was talking. Thank you very much. Softly chuckling I went to sleep as well. The next few days will be fun.