Through The Ice ch3

Start from the beginning

I was speechless and hadn't the faintest idea of what to do. It was so unexpected; I didn't know how to react! Our chests slowly rose and sank with each breath, and everytime we touched it was an electric shock. Confusion twisted and frizzled in my brain. I lifted my limp arms from the floor and wanted to push Evan off of me, but when he saw what I was going to do he just climbed off. I jumped up and ran to my room.

I lay on my bed with my arms around my ankles. I'm so confused and I feel like a nut. I thought he didn't like me, but I guess he does-Well, he probably did up until he kissed me and I pushed him off and ran away to my room. Ohhh, I feel dumb. Was it me who was stupid and couldn't see he liked me back or the other way around or...? All these thoughts made my head spin. I breathed a heavy sigh out onto my pillow.

I heard footsteps in my room, getting louder as they went straight for me on the bed. "What mom?" I said as harsh and irritated as I can, hoping that she'd get the message and leave me alone. Evan chuckles behind me and I swoop up, "Evan, umm, sorry about that, uh." I caught a blank again. What? He caught me by surprise okay?!

I tried to fix my hair in a very subtle way. "If you want me to say sorry, well then, I'm sorry," He started and scratched his neck. This was obviously overwhelming for him. "But if I could go back in time I would've kissed you again." He said it so cute, and he smiled the worst smile I think possible for fairykind. Shame, he was really suffering, but hearing those words coming from his mouth, it made it seem more real. He kissed me, I repeated over and over again in my mind. He kissed me!

I giggle, "Shut up Evan, you sound like one of those corny people we make fun of." I joked and tried to break the atmosphere. I swear it was so thick you could've cut it with a knife!

"I know, don't make this harder." Evan laughed and then frowned at me with a smile still spread from ear to ear. "Why the hell is your hair silver?"

What was he on about? "Huh?" I asked surprised by this weird question, and made my face into a scowl. "My hair is black Evan."

"No, it's not. It's silver."

"Is not, it's black, are you colorblind?! Shall I go ask a rainbow fairy to sort this out?"

"Yes please, because your hair is silver. I don't know how you died it so fast. In your room. And how you got the shimmer out- but it is silver." Evan and I argued and I snapped. "Fine, let's see what the mirror says!" I said grumpily and jumped from my bed and leaped over to the bowl of water on my twig table. I was getting mad.

I looked at my reflection in the calm water. "Oh my gosh," I touch my silver hair, "My hair is silver!"

I stormed out of the room and ran to the living room. "MOM!" I yelled and when I found her I screamed again, "Mom!" She was busy mashing up redberries and scooping them into a bottle for Ozzy. "Yes Tori, get me a drop of water please."

I can't believe I am going through some weird crisis and she wants me to get water for Ozzy's bottle. I fetched the water and stood right by her side. "Just look at me mom, look at me!" She glanced up after some mumbling about Ozzy being the only sensible child in the family and then she dropped the bottle onto my floor.

"My word, what happened to your hair?" She seemed furious.

"I did n-o-t-h-i-n-g to it mom, I just didn't wash it out after the shimmer and now it has turned silver? Where's the gold?" My hands shake and panic sweeps through my veins. Do I have a rare virus? Is something utterly wrong with me? All good questions.

Ozzy started crying, we must've let him stress too with all the yelling going on.

Time stopped for a few brief seconds.

It wasn't confusion or such emotions that filled mom's deep eyes suddenly- no. It was recognition. It was the look of guilt. But most of all, it was that look of someone who had an enormous secret, and then someone else spilled it right in front of the person who shouldn't have heard it.

"We'll talk about this later." Mom said and she had no emotion in her voice.  She hurried through the silk drape and onto the porch. Through a gap in the wall and the silk, I saw mom fluttering her wings and taking off.

"Looks like we're babysitting." Evan announced behind me. Has he been standing there this entire time? I turned to see him pick up Ozzy. I stomped over and took Ozzy out of his arms, and I cradled him in mine. "Correction, I'm on duty. Me, myself and I, alone, thank you very much." I bounced Ozzy up and down and he stopped crying.

Ozzy pointed to his mouth with his index finger, "Yes I'll make you some food Ozzy," I said to my baby brother kindly. He rubbed his tummy with the palm of his hand and flexed his fingers so much I thought they might just snap right off.  "Sawferrie!" He shouted and swung his tiny arms around and almost knocked me out, "Yum, yum, yum!"

"It's called Strawberry Ozzy." I said sternly and tried to get a good grip on his wriggly, squirmy body. Taking care of him was already turning out to be hard and difficult work. And it might just kill me.

Warm fingers took hold of my arm from behind and a body appeared before me. Evan leaned down and kissed my cheek softly. "Bye sweetie pie. Bye Ozzy." Evan said and left. Ozzy frantically waved after Evan.

"Tori strawberry!" Ozzy shouted as loud as his lungs could. I was glad he got the word right, I wasn't glad that he had referred to my blood red cheeks though.