Chapter Sixty | I Love You

NOAH'S POV

I remember when I was little, the day I killed my family. It's constantly at the front of my mind, reminding me that I'm a monster that kills people. Reminding me that I hurt everyone around me.

I remember the pain I felt when I saw the blood on the walls and the dead bodies everywhere. I remember the ache in my chest when I saw Mariah climb out from under the kitchen sink with tears streaming down her cheeks.

That pain will never leave me, and it hasn't. It won't.

But this...

This girl.

This beautiful girl...

The pain I felt then doesn't and won't ever compare to the pain I feel now as I hold her in my arms. Her head resting on my chest and her hands laying in her lap. Her eyes now closed, and her lips still blue and tilted down. I know that this pain...won't ever go away either.

I keep my emotions inside, even though they're begging to be released. But I can't. I can't do it. I can't be weak...I have to be strong...for her.

I look down at her pale face as I carry her through the house and when my eyes land on the dry blood around her nose, I feel my chest heave even more. I let out a heavy sigh, trying my hardest to stay composed as I continue carrying her out to the Jeep.

As I place her immobile body in the front seat I hear rustling in the trees behind me, but I ignore it. Her head tilts to the side and drops down onto her shoulder, and I choke out a sob that I quickly cover with a cough. I refuse to let any tears fall as I shut the passenger door and turn around to find two wolves staring at me.

Blood covers one of their mouths, and I instantly recognize the fur to belong to Gabby. I blink slowly at them and Gabby slowly bows her head and I meet her sad eyes. Ax only stares at me, ready to pounce at any moment.

And the silence grows.

Moment after moment we stare at each other, and when it's been too much for me, I turn around and begin walking to the other side of the Jeep as the tears begin burning my eyes. And then I hear Gabby howling loudly behind me, but I know it better than to be just a howl.

It's a loud cry.

I shut the door softly, pretending that Alaina is just sleeping and I don't want to wake her up. I keep myself from looking over at her as I spin the Jeep around and begin driving down the road, knowing the only place I can take her is to Liam's.

The drive is silent and I have to keep reminding myself not to look at her, or else I will break down. I grip the steering wheel as Eliza appears in my mind and I know that I have to tell her what happened...And we'll have to come up with a story about how she...

Another strangled sob slips out and I run my fingers through my hair, gripping it tightly as tears begin dropping onto my cheeks. I quickly wipe them away and cough loudly to get everything out.

Twenty awful minutes pass before I finally reach Liam's house and I nearly break down the garage door in order to park inside. When I do, I turn off the engine and sit back in silence, not wanting to look at her.

But I finally force myself to, and I find her head still on her shoulder and her eyes closed. "You're just sleeping," I whisper out loud, my voice cracking. "Okay?"

She doesn't say anything and I stare at her in silence, my heart beating rapidly in my chest. I look away from before any tears can fall and I slowly climb out of the Jeep. Rounding to the other side, I take her out and carry inside, placing her on one the couch before taking a step back to look at her.