Chapter Twenty-Three | Nightmare

NOAH'S POV

I watch as Alaina eats the last bite of her pancake, I already had finished both of mine, and she sets down her fork, cheeks stuffed and eyes somewhat droopy. When she looks up at me, she continues chewing silently as we stare at one another.

"The diner has really good pancakes." She informs me with a mouthful of pancake mush. I nod slowly as I try to hold back a smile.

"They do," I agree with her and she lets her smile show. She jumps up from the table, grabbing the empty box and bag, and making her way out of the dining room again.

I watch her walk away before I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket. As I take it out, I notice Gabby's name flashing across the scream and I internally groan. I hold my phone up to my ear a moment later just to hear her yelling my name.

"Noah!"

I don't say anything as I look back over to where Alaina disappeared to. "Noah?!" She screeches again and I raise my hand to cup the side of my head.

"Yeah?"

"Oh, god, I thought it was your stupid voicemail." She states with a small sigh. "Anyway, where are you? Did you just go home? You know, Alaina could be suffering at home right now!"

"She's suffering alright," I say and I hear her gasp. "Gabby, she's fine. I brought her food and the books. She's fine."

"That's great!" I can practically see her smile. "When are you coming back to school? Is Alaina coming with you? She can't leave me alone with Ax, neither of you can. I'll kill him." She tells me as Alaina walks back into the dining room with two glasses of water.

Her brows furrow at me when she sees that I'm on the phone and when I mouth 'Gabby', she nods slowly as she hands me one of the glasses.

"Well?" Gabby nearly shouts at me and Alaina's eyes widen.

"Oh, uh," I stare at Alaina for a moment, watching as the smile she once wore fades. "No, we're not," I answer and Alaina continues to look at me in confusion.

"Wait, what?" She snaps at me.

Alaina's head tilts to the side as she sits back down next to me, her hand resting under her chin as she stares at me. "She's sick," I tell Gabby and a smirk appears on Alaina's face. "So, she can't come back to school."

"Wait-What?!"

"And I'm pretty sure that it's contagious. Oh, yeah." I begin fake coughing and a giant smile lights of Alaina's face and she quickly covers her mouth with her hand. "I think she got me sick, Gabbs."

"Noah! You're a werewolf, you can't get sick!" She reminds me and I continue to fake cough.

"Oh, shit, I think I'm gonna throw up. I gotta go."

"NOAH!"

I slide my phone onto the table as I take a sip of the water she gave me, the fake coughing had made my throat sore. Alaina laughs softly as she uncovers her mouth and I met with her beautiful smile.

"She's upset that you're not going back to school?" She asks.

"I think it's 'cause I'm not bringing you back. She almost had a breakdown in gym because you didn't show up," I tell her and her brows raise in shock.

"Seriously? Just because I was gone for one day?"

"You are her best friend," I shrug and she smiles.

For a moment, she's silent until she chugs the rest of her water and slams her cup down on the table. "We have until four o'clock to do whatever, I guess." She informs me and my brows furrow. "That's when everyone gets home. So, what are you wanting to do?"