Chapter Eight | Friday!

⚠️***TRIGGER WARNING***⚠️

After I returned to class, Gabriella and Jaxon were extra careful with what they said to me, whereas Mills didn't say a single word to me or spare me a glance. When class ends, we gather our things and begin heading to Gabriella's locker.

Once I've grabbed my bag from mine, we head out to the parking lot and get into Gabriella's convertible. On the way to Eliza's house we're both silent. She doesn't speak a word to me but I know that she has a billion questions spinning around in her head. But she obviously knows that I'm not in the mood to answer any of them.

When she pulls into the gravel driveway, I mutter a small goodbye before jumping out of the car. There are no cars in the driveway, so that means I'm home alone.

I race inside before Gabriella can say anything and I slam the door behind me. I run up to my room, throwing my bag down and kicking off my shoes.

Walking down the hall, I enter the bathroom and shut the door behind me. I raise my shirt over my head and drop it on to the small, gray rug before digging through the drawers for a new bandage.

Once I've found one, I glance up at myself in the mirror and instantly cringe at the sight. I look dirty. Absolutely disgusting.

Stripping out of the rest of my clothes, I turn on the shower and quickly get in. I stand under the scolding water for who knows how long. When the bandage on my left rib begin peeling off, I switch of the water and step out.

Now that the mirror is covered in steam, I can no longer look at the dirty reflection. I dry off before removing the bandage and staring down at the stitches I received in the hospital.

As I stare down at the wound on my ribcage, vivid images begin flashing through my mind and tears begin pricking at my eyes again.

Nothing.

You are... nothing.

For a moment I debate on ripping the stitches in order to cause myself pain. But then I'd bleed out and Eliza would find me. Or worse, Charlie. They'd take me to the hospital and that would cost a lot of money. I'm already a burden enough.

Snapping out of it, I quickly put the new bandage over the wound and wrap the towel around my body. The time it took me to stare down at the stitches, the mirror cleared. And when I look back up, all I see is me.

Disgusting, little clumsy me.

I frown at the sight and I feel my heart hammering in my chest. As I hold up my towel above my breasts, I glance down at my uncovered skin to see the rows of lines that have been on my wrists for a couple of days ago.

"Being punished is the only way you're going to learn."

I squeeze my eyes shut as my father's voice infiltrates my mind. Before I can doing anything drastic, I grab my clothes off of the floor and run back to my room.

I quickly pull on something to wear; a simple sweater and pajama pants, and crawl into bed. Shoving my face into my pillow, I let my tears fall as much as I want, until I hear the front door opening, followed by beautiful, feminine laughter.

.

"Are you feeling better today?"

"Mm," I nod slowly as I stare down at my notebook. Jaxon rests his chin on his fist as he stares at me, eyes narrowed and brows furrowed.

"You know, Alaina, you don't have to lie to me." He states and I glance over at him with a quirked brow. "I am your future husband after all." I roll my eyes at him, but I fake a smile for his sake.