Chapter Thirty-Eight | Better Off

GABBY'S POV

I pull into Liam's driveway with shaky hands and kill the engine before jumping out and heading for the back door. When I enter the kitchen, I find Liam and Ax standing at the counter with the bestiary in Liam's hands. Both of their heads snap towards me as I toss my keys onto the table and I can sense their uneasiness.

"What the hell happened?" I ask, completely out of breath. "They really don't remember each other? How is that possible?"

"When I found Alaina in the school, she was in the fire. Like, in it. She was in there with some other girl and there were three dead bodies in the room." Ax explains, causing me to furrow my brows. "I originally thought that the girl she was with had done it, that she's the one who took Alaina, but Alaina told me that wasn't the case. She told me..." He trails off as his brows furrow and his gaze focuses on the ground.

"She told you what?"

"That it was Margo," Liam finishes for him and my eyes flicker over to him. "Margo, Karly, and Zeke. They're the ones who took Alaina."

I gasp slightly at his statement, my mind coming up with a million reasons as to why my friends would hurt Alaina. "Why?"

"It could've been the same thing with Mick when he tried to kill her."

"But...that doesn't explain why Alaina and Noah don't know each other," I say. "Where is he anyway?"

"In his room, sleeping. He doesn't seem to give a shit about it, probably because he has no clue what is happening." Ax growls, causing my face to pale.

I nod slowly, "Why don't they remember each other?" I ask softly.

Liam glances down at the bestiary in his hands, holding it out to me. My brows draw together as I take it from him, giving him a look of confusion before looking down at the page.

Chords

Chords are imperceptible to the human eye, only seen by a being of the supernatural. They are constructed by witches of the old religion, who would use chords to bring demons to earth from hell to do their bidding.

Chords connect a witch and a demon by heart and soul, all left remaining to themselves is mind and body. Whatever the witch wishes, the demon's may do upon their on desire, which normally resulted into a banishment back into hell for eternal damnation.

"Liam, I've already read all of this," I state, holding the book back towards him. "And I still don't understand a single word."

"Look here." He tells me as he points at the next page and I sigh softly as I look back down at the hard to read handwriting.

When the witch ties them self to a demon, they are giving it its own abilities by passing on their own. This is the struggle of using a chord, because the demon is able to do as it pleases whilst risking eternal damnation.

The witch using the chord may also give the demon a chord of its own, to connect itself to anything it chooses. When this happens it is called sheltering.

I slowly look back up at the two men and then stare at me with narrowed eyes. I shuffle over to the table and set down the bestiary as I lean over it and my eyes scan over the words below.

When a demon finds someone or something to tie itself to, it is seeking comfort and reassurance. It is seeking protection, therefore whenever it ties itself to a particular being, it is searching for protection.