Chapter Twenty-Two | Under Control

NOAH'S POV

"Maybe... oh, maybe we can go back to your grandma's." Ax suggests as he, Gabby, and I walk into school. "Search your dad's office, maybe?" His brow raises at me and I glance over at him.

"Or maybe not." Gabby voices and Ax tilts his head forward, looking at her with furrowed brows.

"What? Why not? Isn't this all about helping Alaina?!"

"Of course it is." She nods as we all come to a stop at her locker. "But, nothing else has happened with her. The last thing that happened was the thing at the party, right? All left is the chain connecting you two."

I bite on the inside of my cheek as Ax and Gabby exchange glances, thinking it over without asking me anything. So, I may or may not have told them or Liam about what happened with Alaina and the shadow. I'm just hoping that Alaina and I can find something in the bestiaries before saying anything to anyone else.

If not, something else might happen and Liam might possibly turn against her and do something he shouldn't. And it's a rule that the pack followers their Alpha's orders, even if we're against them. If she ends up being something that isn't anywhere good, like a succubus or a wendigo, then we'd have to get rid of her.

And I know that all three of them would hate it. In the short time that we've all spent with her, we each have made somewhat of a relationship with her. Even me, I guess. From what talks we've had, fights and all, we're more than just acquaintances, but we're not friends either.

"Where is Alaina anyway? Don't you give her rides to school?" Ax asks as she pulls out one of her notebooks and glittery pens.

"Oh, she called me yesterday night and told me that she didn't need a ride today. So, I'm guessing her aunt is bringing her." Gabby tells him with a small smile. "Gave me more time to look pretty today, so it's no big deal."

"Did you ask her about yesterday?" I raise a brow and she looks over at me.

I can sense the confusion in the both of them as they stare at me with raised brows. "No, she hung up too quickly. All she told me was that she didn't need a ride today and then she said goodnight before hanging up." She hums with a shrug and shuts her locker.

"Did she seem okay?" Ax furrows his brows, looking genuinely concerned for his friend.

Gabby's brows slowly draw together as her eyes flicker to the floor. "I guess. I mean, we didn't talk for long. Her voice did sound a little dry, maybe? Like she was sick, or something?" She looks back up and slowly begins picking at the pages of her notebook.

"Well, your class is about to start, so you can ask her now. See you later." He nudges her shoulder before looking at me and nodding down the hallway.

"Bye," she whispers, giving him a small wave as she glances over at me.

I tilt my head to the side as I debate on saying what's going on in my mind. I want to know if Alaina's okay, but if I ask her to tell me during gym, she'll be all curious and suspicious about my feelings for Alaina.

What feelings?! I don't have feelings for her!

"Tell her that we're going to Liam's after school. Bestiaries. She's not skipping out this time," I state aggressively and instead of arguing, she just nods with a small smile.

"Got it. Don't get into any trouble." She responds, hitting my arm. "You haven't gotten into a fight in two weeks. That's good for you, Noah. Makes me proud."

I roll my eyes, "Yeah, whatever."

"Noah, let's go!" Ax shouts at me from halfway down the hallway and I give Gabby another annoyed look. She smiles at me widely before she turns around and begins walking to her class.