Chapter Sixteen | Wait and See

ALAINA'S POV

"Wow, you're in some real need of concealer." Gabriella smiles at me as she leans against the locker next to mine.

"What?" I mumble as I rub at my eyes. "I don't need concealer. I look fine," I state softly as I pull my hands away to find her raising a brow at me. "What?"

"Jesus!" Her eyes widen and she takes a small step away from me. "How much sleep did you get last night? You're all uptight." She tells me.

"I'm not uptight," I grumble as I take out my notebook.

"Yes, you are. Did you eat breakfast? What time did you go to bed?" She asks, raising a brow at me as she crosses her arms over her chest.

"I'm fine," I tell her as I close my locker and finally turn to her. Her eyes narrow at me and I watch in silence as we both stare at each other.

"Alaina, you know that I'm your best friend, right?" She says softly as her arms fall to her sides. My brows furrow as a look over hurt covers her face.

"Yes, I know that," I answer with a small nod.

"You know that you can tell me anything?"

"Gabriella, I know. There's nothing wrong with me," I sigh softly.

"Then, why can I smell the stench of uneasiness wafting off of you?" She asks, brow raising. I feel my eyes widen as my cheeks burn.

"What?"

"Don't lie to me either," she snaps. "What is wrong with you? This morning when I picked you up, you fell asleep in the car. I offered to buy you lunch but you ignored me. Matter of fact, you ignored everyone at lunch. You just sat there, reading a book. You even let Ax cuddle you, for Godsakes!" She states the last part with a shocked expression.

"He was not cuddling me," I roll my eyes.

"Yes! Yes, he was!" She nods.

"I said I'm fine, Gabriella," I repeat for what seems like the tenth time today.

"And I said don't lie to me." She snaps angrily, causing my eyes to widen. "Quit bullshitting me, Tycho. I'm serious. Now, tell me what is wrong with you." Her eyes narrow at me as they begin to glow. "And if you don't want to answer me, I can just go ask Noah. I'm sure his moody ass can give me an explanation about what happened yesterday." She threatens, her brow arching slightly. "Unless, of course, you want to fess up."

I bite my bottom lip as I stare at her. She really is annoying and petty when she wants to be. It's very infuriating. I'm really glad that Gabriella isn't a twin because if she was, I'd kill both of her.

"We got into a fight on the way to my house yesterday," I shrug, "it's no big deal. Seriously."

"What was the fight about?"

"Stuff that is evidently true," I mumble more to myself, but when she raises her brow at me, I know that she wants to hear more. "Stupid stuff. Really."

"Alaina-"

"I don't want to talk about it," I state, my eyes widening to show my annoyance.

"Fine." She sighs before flicking a strand of hair over her shoulder. "But, you'll talk about it sooner or later. Whether you want to or not!" She shoots me a wide smile. "Come on," she nods down the hall, "we're going to be late for calc."

When we walk into the classroom, a pair of blue eyes are already on me. I feel my cheeks heat up as Gabriella and I walk to the back of the class to our normal seat behind Noah and Jaxon, who already sitting down. Jaxon, who is unaware of both mine and Noah's moods, quickly turns around with a giant, dorky smile.