Chapter One | Surprise Visitor

| DESTINED DEMONS |

The bell shrills loudly from the front of the room, signaling that classes are beginning. The door slams shut as Mr. Eola walks in with his maroon briefcase and classic coffee cup in his left hand, making his way to his desk to begin his daily torture.

I cup my chin in my palm as I stare straight ahead at the chalky black words written on the whiteboard, strictly stating to have textbooks out and flip to page 214. Half of the class was able to follow directions, me being in that small pool, as the others just talk loudly amongst themselves.

"Good morning, class." He greets, perching himself on his desk as he holds a clipboard in his hands. "Today we will begin chapter six in our textbooks..."

I sigh softly as I drown out his voice and tilt my head to the side to gaze out the window. It's almost like a superpower really, being able to shut out all the sounds that are going on around me.

Outside the window, I gaze at a giant cherry tree that stands in the middle of the courtyard. Its wet branches sway with the wind as the quiet rain dances on its leaves and tickles the trunk happily. The rest of the small trees surrounding it seems to be having the same excitement even through the thunder and lightning.

My eyes flicker up to the dark clouds covering the sky, widening slightly when cracks of lighting somewhat light up the darkness.

For most people, rain is some type of depressant. Like how if someone is alone in a dark room, they have more of a chance of becoming easily upset than they do if they're in a bright room. It's not really like that for me. I take a rain as some sort of comfort, I don't know why, but the smell is just oddly comforting more than the smell of cut grass.

Most of the days in Fort Haven it just rains, day in day out. I don't mind it all, rain being my favorite weather. It just makes it harder for everyone to get around. The streets are always slick, which causes more accidents and that's just basic math.

"Miss Tycho?"

My head snaps towards the front of the room and I meet the eyes of Mr. Eola. "Sir," I respond and I feel a bunch of eyes on me. My cheeks are already burning brightly from how hot the room is and now with everyone staring at me, I'm one-hundred percent sure that I look like a tomato.

"Would you like to join the discussion?" His brow raises as a couple of students snicker.

"Yeah, sorry, Sir," I mumble as I look down at my textbook.

When class finally ends, I quickly gather my things and rush out of the room to avoid any further embarrassment. That's how my days normally go when I'm at school. It's hard for me to pay attention in class because I have a very short attention span. Which is a curse when I come to think of it.

I stop at my locker, tossing in my textbook and grabbing my history notebook. As I flip through my notebook to make sure my homework assignments were inside, I begin taking a step back so that I can close my locker.

Before I can even grasp the metal, it slams in front of my face and I instantly look up into a pair of striking blue eyes. "Jesus," I scold as the black haired girl leans against my now closed locker. "You scared me."

"Sorry." Jessie shrugs, her eyes still wide with excitement and mine simply roll.

"What do you want?" I raise a brow at her.

"Whatever do you mean?" She asks and I turn away to begin walking to class. She quickly catches up with me, dropping her arm over my shoulders. "I can't walk my best friend to class?"