Chapter Ten | Purple Rain

NOAH'S POV

"Noah, Noah, Noah, Noah, Noah, Noah, Noa-"

"WHAT?!" I snap, my head turning towards Gabby, who's currently sitting on my lap. She stares at me with narrowed eyes and a pouted lip. "I'm going to throw you," I threaten, but she doesn't move.

"I lost Alaina." She states.

"That's not my problem," I shake my head as I look back down at my phone.

"You promised me you'd watch her. You broke your promise." She claims and my head snaps back up.

"Bullshit, Gabriella. She was with you the whole time, not with me. So, it's not my problem!"

"You walked off as soon as we got here. It is now your problem." She pats my shoulder.

I stare at her in annoyance, "She's your friend. Go. Find. Her."

Gabriella goes silent after that. We stare at each other without saying a word, until her brows furrow and she frowns. "Why don't you like Alaina?" She asks, her voice filled with sadness. "She's really nice and tries to make people happy by smiling. But, I don't think Alaina is happy."

"Yeah, why not?" I mumble.

"Her dad and sister are dead." She states. "I...I never asked her how they died, but on the first day of gym she was changing and I saw-"

"Hey, I don't need to know that kind of stuff!" I shake my head.

Her eyes narrow and she smacks me over the head. "Get your head out of the damn gutter, you fool. It's nothing sexual. She has a giant bandage of her ribs. She must of got hurt or something. Maybe... Maybe whoever killed her dad and sister meant to kill her too."

"You think they were murdered?" My brow raises.

"Mm," she nods slowly, "she lives with her aunt. She never talks about her mom, and I think she's dead too. Best guess is that she died giving birth to either her or her sister. I don't know if her sister was older or not."

I sigh softly as she stares down at her hands. "I want to ask her all of the questions I have inside my fucking head but I don't want her to cry. I've seen her cry before and I only knew her for a couple of hours but it hurt me. Worse than it should have." Tears begin to fill her eyes and my brows furrow as my eyes widen.

Placing my hand on the top of her head and pulling her into my chest. "Then I guess you're really best friends with her, huh?"

"I just want her to be happy but I want her to feel like she can tell me anything." She mumbles.

"Well, Gabb's, you just met her. Give her time to get used to you," I suggest and she nods.

She leans up suddenly with furrowed brows and she cups her cheek. "You think she's scared of the dark?" She hums.

"I guess? Are you talking about what happened at the diner?"

"I just... I wonder what goes on inside of her head..." She bites her cheek as she thinks.

"With everything you just told me, I don't think you want to know," I whisper and her eyes flicker over to mine.

"Yeah, maybe!" She nods.

As I'm about to say something else, I'm taken aback when I hear a loud scream. My eyes widen and I cup the side of my head to cover my ear, since my other is holding tightly onto Gabby's side. She seems to hear it too by the way she's holding the sides of her head.