Chapter Thirty-Six | Purple Flames

NOAH'S POV

"Sorry, kid, you can't go inside the school." One of the administrators informs Ax and I and I feel my temper beginning to rise even higher. We followed the chain to the door, so that means Alaina is somewhere inside the school.

"I have to get my assignments out of my locker." Ax states and the older woman glances over at him obscurely.

"Come back on Monday."

I grit my teeth in annoyance and Ax quickly grabs me by my shoulder and pulls me back with him. "We'll find another way in, dude. Calm down. We'll find Alaina."

I don't say anything as he continues pulling me along with him. What if I had just gone up and kissed her? She would be okay right now, wouldn't she? She wouldn't be missing. She'd be with me and I'd be holding her in my arms. God, I wish I could just hug or hold her hand or just something.

And now she's gone. And I can't find her.

"Noah?"

I look up to see Ax gazing at me with concern. "What?!" I snap at him, not even caring about his feelings. The only fucking thing I care about is Alaina.

"Your eyes, Noah." He hisses at me before looking around the crowd swiftly. "Your eyes."

I look down at the ground, forcing myself to calm down as my heart hammers in my chest. "We need to get inside the school," I state as I grip my collarbone. "She's in there."

"Here! I have a plan!" He claims, causing me to look up at him with furrowed brows. "Don't look so nervous. How about we—"

He's cut off when his phone goes off in his pocket. Rolling his eyes, he takes it out and, instantly, a smile graces his lips and he presses it to his ear. "Gabby! Yeah, she's inside the school. Mhmm... No, we're finding a way in."

I glance down at my wrist and the chain appears, but unlike earlier, it's glowing purple. My eyes widen at the sight and I look up at Ax, but he's no longer paying attention to me.

I gaze back down at the chain, immediately concluding that I've never seen it like this. I mean, yeah, I've seen it glow before. But this is a whole new level.

Suddenly, I hear a loud scream that nearly splits my skull in two. I grasps the sides of my head as my eyes screw shut and I lose my balance.

Ax does the same thing, dropping his phone in the process and stumbling back into me.

I grab onto his arm to try to keep us both steady, but it doesn't work. He loses his balance and drops down onto the ground as the scream continues and I feel a liquid trickling our of my ear.

A moment later, I feel something inside of me snap. My chest feels tighter and I just feel...empty.

The scream ceases after another couple of seconds and I slowly remove my hands from my head as I pant loudly. Ax leans back on his hands and stares up at sky, his eyes wide and his chest falling and rising at a fast pace.

"What...the...hell...was...that..?" He huffs out and I notice the blood running down the sides of his head.

"I don't know," I whisper as I shake my head and cup my ears. "But that fucking hurt."

Slowly, he stands up and grips the back of his neck. "Do you think that was Alaina?" He asks as he looks around.

My brows draw together and I give him a weird look. "What?"

"I said do you think that was—"

"Fire! There's a fire!" Someone screams and the both of us turn around faster than the speed of light. My eyes widen when I catch a glimpse of one of the school's windows bursting out with purple fire.