Chapter Fifty-Eight | Impulsive

CARSON'S POV

"Yeah, yeah," I mumble to my roommate, promising that I'd be back tomorrow in time to go grocery shopping with her. I close the front door behind me with one hand as I carry all of my things in the other, and I begin walking down the driveway to my car.

As I put down all of my stuff into the front seat, I look up at the sky. My brows furrow at the dark clouds forming and I quickly pull out my phone, not remembering that it was supposed to rain tonight.

"Dammit," I curse as I slam the door shut and round the car to driver's seat. When I turn on the engine, I glance over at the radio to see that it's almost eight-thirty. Moose is probably wondering where I am.

My heart tinges at the thought of him worrying about me, but I know for a fact that he doesn't. Not anymore.

I roll my eyes at myself and quickly pull out of the driveway and skidding down the street. When I finally reach the rocky pathway, I follow it towards the almost burnt down house. I pull to a stop and wince at the sight of the charred wood.

I'll get in trouble for that later, but it doesn't matter.

As I gather my things out of the passenger seat, Moose steps out onto the porch and my eyes meet his. I can't read his emotions by his blank expression and I know that I look exactly the same.

"What?" I ask as I pass by him and walk into the house. My eyes widen when I find everything cleaned up, somewhat.

"You've been gone for hours," he states, following me inside and shutting the door behind him. I sigh to myself as I place the books and candles down on the table and turn to look at him.

"Don't tell me you were worried," I scoff and turn back around.

"About you?" He begins chuckling and I feel my body tense.

I don't say anything as I begin making my way to the back door and I hope for his sake that he isn't following me. I slam the back door behind and begin walking down the stone path to where Moose should have put Alaina.

"Stop!"

I hear loud laughter that causes me to pause in my track and my brows furrow. A moment passes and I hear the sound of water splashing and I walker faster towards the river.

Who is she talking to?!

I lean around the large oak tree next to the river that has the rope swing hanging from it to see Alaina standing in a witch's circle with her hands pressed against her stomach. Her face is bright red and her pink, chapped lips are pulled into a bright smile.

She continues laughing loudly at something and my eyes flicker towards the splashing water of the river, but I don't see what's splashing around in it.

"You're going to get my clothes wet!" She squeals, stepping away from the side of the circle as water begins flying towards her. But I still cannot see what is flinging the water at her body.

Then I suddenly realize that she must be talking to the ghost boy.

"Somnum," I whisper, directed towards, and I watch as Alaina is suddenly struck with a wave of tiredness. Her eyes slowly begin to flutter and she drops to the ground, causing the splashing in the river to cease.

Suddenly the small boy appears in the water, staring at Alaina with disbelief before he turns to me. His eyes widen and he steps deeper into the water and holds his pointer finger up towards me.

"What did you do to her?!" He screams at me, his anger boiling.

"You shouldn't be playing in the water, Dayle." When I say his name he winces and he takes another step away.