Chapter Forty-Nine | Beauty and The Beast

NOAH'S POV

The sound of silence flows through the entire house as I clean up the rest of the kitchen. Once I'm finished with the dishes, I shut off the water and sigh softly. There isn't a single sound coming from upstairs and I take it that Alaina is still sleeping in my room, and Ax and Gabby are sleeping in his, which somehow doesn't seem to agitate me as much as it used to.

I dry off my hands before tossing the towel into the white basket in the laundry room and moving into the living room. I glance around at the mess that is blankets draped over both couches and the scatter of bestiaries and bowls of half eaten chips that belonged to Ax and I from earlier this morning. I grab the bowls and move back into the kitchen to dump them out and place them in the dish washer along with the other dishes.

As I'm folding the blankets and placing in the small cabinet underneath the television, I hear a quiet bump from upstairs, and with my sensitive hearing, I know that it's from my bedroom. I quickly run up the stairs quietly and open my door, peeking in silently just in case Alaina is still sleeping.

And she is.

My brows pull together as I gaze over her small figure underneath my blanket. Her face is directed towards me, a small smile on her lips that puts me at ease.

Then what was that sound?

I look around my room and my eyes stop on the brown backed book lying pages open against the ground right next to my bed. Confusion takes over my features and I walk over to kneel beside her and pick it up. I open it cautiously in case any of the pages decide to fall out.

I feel all the color drain from my face when my eyes focus on the dark haired girl I had drawn weeks ago. The one with the purple eyes and tattoo. The one that is lying right next to me with the sweetest smile on her face.

My eyes flicker up from the drawing and to her, finding her fast asleep in the most peaceful way, and seeing her like this, so calm, it makes my heart melt. I glance back down at the book and I silently question how she got it. I had put it up on the dresser before making her lay down, so when did she get up and get it herself?

She murmurs something in her sleep, causing me to look up at her swiftly. Her nose scrunches up before settling into place for a couple of seconds, and then scrunches up again. A soft chuckle leaves my lips and she unskillfully removes her hand from underneath the blanket to scratch at her nose.

A whimper leaves her lips when it tangles in the blanket and I gently cup the side of her head and brush my thumb across the tip of her nose. A satisfied smile appears on her lips and she settles back into her slumber.

The sound of the door creaking causes me to glance back over my shoulder and I find Liam peeking his head into my room. My brows furrow at the sight and his eyes widen into saucers for a moment, and then I realize that they aren't on me. I look back at Alaina, finding her still sleeping, and I look back to Liam, his eyes flickering between us before finally freezing on me.

"How..." He mumbles, face contorting. I slowly stand up as I take in a heavy breath, today's recent events coming back to me.

"I found my journal," I state, holding up the book, but he still has on his confused expression. "The drawing of Alaina," I rephrase and his face pales. "It made something click...and then she showed up at the house with Gabby and some witch. And she remembered me. She went to my grandmother's because she...can...she went through her memories and found the ones from the night I saved her from that damn shadow."

"She did?" His brows raise and I place the journal down on my dresser, making sure that I actually do in case it gets into her sticky hands again.