Chapter Thirty | Chord

ALAINA'S POV

It's been almost two weeks since Gabby's birthday dinner, which was incredibly uncomfortable to sit through. I haven't been talking to Noah a lot, determined to ignore him since he told me multiple times that he isn't going to apologize to Moose, who has healed completely. Everyday it gets harder not to talk to him, but I remind myself every moment that I think of him that he's an asshole.

The only times that I ever talk to Noah is when Gabby demands that I do. Which is when she drags me over to Liam's for bestiary book club. Ax is still normal, so he just loves making everything awkward when Noah is around or when I'm with Moose.

Moose, who has become one of my really good friends, is actually a really nice guy and he's funny too. Like I had thought, he gets along perfectly with Ax because they're basically the same person. Which makes both Gabby and Noah mad, but they don't show it when I'm around.

At least they try not to.

In two days is Halloween, which is Gabby's birthday and the Halloween fair that she is making Ax, Noah, Moose, and I go to against our own wills. But lucky for all of them, they didn't have to spend the past two weeks having SFX makeup on their faces and being yelled at to close their eyes.

"Alaina! Stop it!" Gabby demands as she tilts my chin up forcefully and I groan.

"That stuff stinks!" I hiss and she rolls her as she dabs more of the disgusting fake blood onto my lips.

"Stop complaining. If you just get used to it, then it won't bother you as much." She states as she puts the bottle of blood down on the table and grabs another pallet.

"You've been putting it on her for fifteen days, Gabby," Ax states from the other couch and we both look over at him, finding him stuffing his face with a bowl of wings. "None of us are getting used to the smell."

"Shut up." She rolls her eyes at him and he smiles at me. Gabby continues putting the stupid wax stuff on my face, which has been happening for the past two and a half hours.

"Alaina!" Gabby's hand jerks across my face when Charlie runs into the living room with a couple of her friends. I look over my shoulder to see Ally, the youngest of the bunch, covered in red paint.

Both Gabby and I gasp at the sight, our jaws dropping and our eyes widening. "What did you do to her?!" Gabby asks and Ally just smiles widely.

"We're trying to do monster makeup!" Charlie states as she pushes up her glasses.

"What kind of monster are you supposed to be?" Ax chuckles as Ally does a little spin.

"A unicorn, duh!" Marcie gestures to Ally's pink body.

"A unicorn isn't a monster," I state and all three of their smiles fall form their faces. Gabby smacks my arm and my eyes widen as she reaches towards the bottle of red blood on the table.

"Here, Char," Gabby holds the bottle out to my cousin and Charlie's brows furrow. "Take this and put it on some of her body, make her look like a evil unicorn. You'll be able to scare all the houses into giving you candy." She states and their smiles return instantly.

"Thanks, Gabriella!" All three of them shout before running back upstairs to Charlie's room.

"They're going to get that blood everywhere," I say and both Gabby and Ax laugh.

"It'll be fine, if doesn't stain." She waves me off as she continues playing with my face.

"How much longer is this going to take?" Ax asks as he places the empty bowl on the table and Gabby glances over at him. "I still need to find a costume for Friday."