Chapter Thirty-Seven | Disappear

ALAINA'S POV

"What did you just say?" Gabby asks and I continue staring at her in confusion. I shrug nervously as I push a strand of hair behind me ear.

"I said who the hell is Noah? I...I don't know who that is."

Gabby's look of annoyance fades and she smiles at me before letting out a curt laugh. "Funny, Alaina. Very funny."

I shake my head, "Who is Noah?" I ask again, being entirely serious. "I don't..."

Her smile falls and she takes a step back from me. I watch as she glances over her shoulder back at Ax, who has his back turned to us. "Alaina, you bumped your head. It's okay, you probably don't remember a lot of stuff. It's okay. We can talk about this tomorrow." She tells me as she rubs my arms comfortingly. "But right now, I need to get you home. Before Liza kills us. You do remember your own aunt, right?"

"Yeah," I sigh as I nod slowly and jump down from the ambulance.

"Come on," she smiles at me as she grabs my hand and begins pulling me through the crowd. As we're moving through the people, my eyes stop on the girl that basically saved my life. My brows furrow when I find her already staring at me with her chocolate brown eyes and she sends me a warm smile.

Who the hell is this girl?

NOAH'S POV

"Noah!"

My head snaps up and I see Gabby running towards me, followed by Moose. She instantly wraps her arms around me but pulls away quickly when the smoke covering me fills her senses.

"You went into the fire?! Did you find Alaina?!" She asks me, her words blending together.

"Uh—"

"Where's Ax?! Where's Alai—" She cuts off when her eyes travel behind me towards the school and I turn around to see Ax walking out with a girl by his side. My brows furrow at the way he's walking, as if he's holding something but there isn't anything in his arms. I look back at Gabby when she's gasps, "Alaina!" She screams at the top of her lungs and she takes off running towards him.

What the hell is going on?!

Why do they keep talking about Alaina?

Who is Alaina?!

Ax's head snaps towards me and he gives me the look, and I'm instantly grabbing Gabby's hand and holding her back to me. "Let go of me!" She screams as she drags me through the crowd of people. "Get out of my way! Alaina!" She yells once more and I wrap both of my arms around her in order to get her to stand still.

"No, let go of me, Noah!" She cries out and I frown from behind her. "Alaina's over there! Why are we just standing here! Let go!"

I look away from her and over at Ax when he jogs over to us and wraps his arms around Gabby, causing me to let her go. What is going on with them?

My brows furrow as they both turn to look towards the flashing ambulance and I watch as they both wince in pain at whatever they're looking at. What the hell are they looking at?!

After a moment, I realize that I'm no longer necessary and I take a step back. Gabby and Ax pay not even a single ounce of attention to me as I begin walking away from the crowd, my eyes drifting over to the purple flames that are being put out. Something is familiar about them...

But I don't care enough to give it a second thought.

.

"Hey! How was the carnival?" Liam grins at me as I walk through the back door. I shrug, not saying anything as I instantly head upstairs for my room.