Chapter 21 : Siegfried de Chauvegné

Start from the beginning

Thus, she did not feel wronged when her father told her that her fiance would be the duke. Instead, she felt guilty because she felt unworthy of the duke.

Their wedding day came and Diana was very giddy. For the first time, she tried on a very glamorous dress that sparkled as she walked. The moment she reached her husband, she was stunned by his looks. A tall, handsome man with silky black hair stood right in front of her. He looked very solemn in his white military uniform, his eyes closed.

She couldn't help but wonder, what would it be like to be stared at by his eyes?

She fell in love at first sight. Diana made a promise to herself, that even if she was undeserving of him, that even if she had very little power, she would do her best to help him and make his life better. She would try her best for him, hoping that in the process, he would love her for who she was.

The moment they married, she always cleaned the whole mansion and arranged everything beautifully. She cooked for him and tried to help him as much as she could.

But he always rejected her.

Whenever she tried to aid him as he walked, he always swatted her hand away. Whenever she tried to help him get up when he fell down, he always told her to go away.

It saddened her. It pierced painfully her heart that was filled with love for him. There never came a day when she did not cry.

The bitterness and melancholy ate her whole being, making her a bit aggressive. The first time she shouted at him was when she couldn't take it anymore.

'Fine! Go rot for all I care you stupid blind man!'

It silenced him, he did not retort anymore. Since then, it became easy to shout at him in order for him to follow her, and also for her to express her distress and frustration.

She guided him through the mansion. Together they memorized the whole garden and hallways. Together they memorized each room, setting a landmark for him to know where he was at.

Because of her, he was able to walk and navigate on his own.

He did not give her any thanks nor any praise, but it was fine for her as long as he was alright.

Then one day on a stormy night, she noticed that the man was gone.

Diana frantically searched for him - in the gardens, in the hallways - but he was not there. She decided to look for him outside even though it was raining, but she did not find him.

She returned home soaked with rain. The moment she came home she saw her husband drying a little boy. 

Then their family of two became bigger.

It became harder for her to budget the food and the expenses due to the extra child. But she did not mind. It was because, for the first time, her husband was smiling. 

It came to the point where Diana had to skip meals in order for the child to eat. Many times she fainted, but no one noticed.

Then came the time when they had no food anymore. She stood in front of the kitchen aisle, there was no food left.

It was the exact moment that the two came in, the little boy complained, stating that he was hungry, asking when will the food be done.

She did not mean to shout at the boy, but maybe because of not having eaten since yesterday, she shouted at him.

'Shut it!'

The boy cried and left the kitchen. Only she and her husband were left in the kitchen.