Chapter Fifty-Two: New Team 7

Beginne am Anfang

"And also because, you know, well in fact no you don't, but you remind me of myself when I was your age," Mai told her, still smiling.

A look of surprise appeared on Akira's face. 

"Really?" Was all she could utter. 

Mai nodded, "Yes, really." 

This made Akira smile again. She could feel again a strange sensation in her. Maybe that's what Mai had talked to her about three years earlier.

But was it really love? 

--------

Mai was sitting on a bench all alone with a cup of tea in her hand. She couldn't help but think about Kakashi. He must have been hurt by her indifference and her avoiding him. She felt guilty somehow. The promise she had made to him kept playing into her mind over and over again. She was really feeling like an idiot. She should really listen to her mother's and cousin's advice... But something still seemed to prevent her from doing so. Was it pride? Or simply shyness? Or fear... And what if it didn't work? 

Meanwhile Naruto was walking all alone as well when he spotted Mai on the bench. 

"Godaime-Mai," he said as if he were surprised to see her there. 

Mai raised her head to look in his direction. She gave him a faint smile as the boy approached her. 

"What's up? What are you doing here all alone at such an hour? Aren't you busy again with all your paperwork or something?" the blond boy questioned her as he raised one brow. 

"I am always busy, but for this time I let a clone do the work for me," Mai said, only answering his last question. 

"You let a clone do your work," Naruto said astonished, "That's such a great idea!!!" he exclaimed with his natural enthusiasm, looking at Mai as if she were a real genius. 

"Guess so," Mai said absentmindedly. 

"But why would you do this? Are you already sick of your work?"

Mai looked at him again before looking away. 

"That's not it. But you know there are also things happening besides my job. And I need to take some time to think about all of them," Mai explained.

"Things?" Naruto said with big eyes full of curiosity, tilting his head to the side, "What kind of things?" 

Mai glanced at him. 

"You are a really curious boy, aren't you?" Mai told him gravely. 

Naruto shrugged. "Maybe, but it's because I care about you," Naruto said bluntly. 

Mai turned her head to face him and raised a brow. 

"Really?"

Naruto nodded. And Mai chuckled a bit. "Maybe you care for me, but I don't think this is stuff I can talk about with you." 

"And why not?" Naruto retorted, slightly offended. 

"Because this is rather girl stuff. And as we both know, you are not a girl."

Naruto puffed his cheeks and made a face. 

"Plus, this is adult stuff. And you are not an adult either. And you are not mature enough. Don't get it the wrong way, but I can tell just because of your attitude right now."

Naruto immediately stopped pouting after Mai finished speaking, and instead a grave and concerned look appeared on his face as if to prove Mai wrong.