Chapter two: Konohagakure

Winter was finally over which meant it was time for Mai to go to Konoha with Jiraiya. 

The white-haired Sannin knew he had to tell her everything, that is about the system of the shinobi world and Konoha and the Academy and her family as well. Except her father, Tsunade had demanded that he should not tell anything about him for whatever unknown reason, surely to protect her from pain. Anyway, he knew little Mai would ask questions over and over again about him, it was to be expected. And honestly, he had no clue how he would cope with that. 

He would tell her everything on the way, this way the trip would not seem too long. 

They were now ready to leave as the three of them had bid farewell. Mai was sad of course, she thought her mother would come with them, which would have been logical when you think about it. Why wasn't she coming anyway ? Mai wanted to know but she preferred to wait to ask Jiraiya on the road. As for Tsunade, she was sad, even sadder than her daughter though she did not show it. She did not want to appear weak in front of her own daughter. Mai's departure tore her apart but at the same time she told herself it would be best for Mai if she stayed away from her for a while. At least in Konoha she would not be alone and she was sure she would be much happier. 

In fact, Mai and Tsunade had gotten closer for the past months. Because of medical ninjutsu. Ever since that time in the forest with the wounded fawn Mai had been eager to do more medical ninjutsu, to improve herself. She absolutely loved doing that. And so she had been practising relentlessly with her mother guiding her but without the blood of course. Mai had already made some good progress which made her mother really proud to be honest. And Tsunade was certain that Mai would be able to surpass her one day. It was bound to happen. And it was a great relief for the Sannin somehow. At least, if one day she had to save someone precious to her Mai would surely be able to save them unlike her. This mere though somehow seemed to take some of her inner guilt away but still she was not completely at peace with herself yet. She felt it would take much more time again before being strong enough to learn to live with the pain and overcome it and thus coming back to Konoha to be with her daughter and act like a real mother should. 

Mai stared at her mother with begging eyes, as if to tell her to come with them. But it was pointless. When Tsunade had decided something, it was impossible to make her change her mind. Though Mai did not know it yet she would learn it later. Even if it was Mai, as of now, she would not give in. She simply couldn't. 

Jiraiya saw the hurt look on Mai's face and knew there was nothing to do left. That scene really looked like déjà vu. It was better for them to leave now before Mai refused to leave her mother or pleaded her to come at all costs. 

"Come on Mai, let's be going already. We have a long way to do before reaching Konoha. We musn't dawdle." The man said plainly hoping Mai would be reasonable and would listen to him. 

Mai didn't say anything. She didn't even nod in agreement. She stayed still and stared at the ground, strands of hair covering her angelic face. She was just sad. 

"Mai. I know you're sad but I am too. I really am. But I can't come back now to the village, I still have lot of stuff to do in the region so please don't be sad. Even if I'm not there with you I'll always be thinking of you. And I promise I'll try to come to see you soon, when I have some free time okay?"

Tsunade was the one to speak those kind and reassuring words. Her voice was filled with love and softness that she'd never thought she would have. It was her daughter who she was talking to after all. The blond-haired lady hoped it would make Mai feel better and convince her to leave. Which indeed worked quite well as little Mai looked up to her mother before giving her a bright smile, eyes shining with hope. She was so glad to hear her mother say that. And she really hoped her mother would come very soon so that they could all live together. Like a family. She needed to have a real family. She was thinking that her wish was finally going to become true. She couldn't have been happier than now. Because to tell the truth she now thought that Jiraiya was her father. It had to be him. Who else could it be otherwise ? And especially, why would her mother let this man escort her to the village and remain with him once there if he was not related to her in ay way ? Why not choose someone else ? Because her mother had told her Jiraiya was a childhood friend. But for Mai it meant everything. It was crystal clear in her small head. Because childhood friend means lover she thought smiling as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.