Chapter Twenty-One: Family

Mai was getting better. Spending more time with Shizune  definitely did her real good. 

The young girl was still resting after what had happened. She was still getting used to her new arm. It wasn't that disturbing anymore. Yet, she didn't like it to see it uncovered. First and foremost because it was open to everyone's view. And also because she hated that white color. So now she was no longer wearing a short sleeved kimono but instead she had chosen to wear her chuunin uniform because it hid it very well. 

She was currently walking through the busy streets of Konoha with her hands in her pockets. The war wasn't over yet though there were rumors of an armistice that were spreading across the village. But Mai was rather skeptical. Once a war had begun how could it be ended? That war hadn't been waged for nothing. Mai still didn't understand the meaning of all that. But she put up with it just like everybody else. 

She came across Jiraiya as she was still walking at a steady pace. 

"Hey Mai! It's such a beautiful day today, isn't it?" He greeted her warmly. 

"Yes, it is indeed." 

It drew a sharp contrast with the bloodshed that was still happening elsewhere. 

"So what have you planned to do today?" Jiraiya asked her. 

"Well, nothing special I guess." 

"Good, then we can spend some time together, just you and I." 

"Yes, sure." Mai said giving him a genuine smile. 

It had been quite a while since she had spent quality time with her adoptive chichi. 

And that would do her real good as well. 

"Come on then, let's go in a quieter spot." 

However, suddenly Mai's stomach growled which made her quite embarrassed. 

"Ahah, someone's hungry..."

"Nope, It's just- It's nothing." 

"Please Mai, no need to be so ashamed. I'm taking you to a dango shop. You can't refuse, can you?" 

Mai hesitated before shaking her head slightly. 

It had been a while as well since the last time she had eaten dango. 

They arrived at the dango shop not long after. They took two seats and both waited in silence for someone to come take their order. 

Once it was done Jiraiya spoke up.

"You haven't been eating a lot recently, have you?" 

"I'm not really hungry..."

"Is that so?"

"That war only makes me want to vomit if anything, so..."

Jiraiya closed his eyes and crossed his arms. 

"I know it's awful but you refusing to eat won't make the war stop faster. You have to remain strong. If you don't feed yourself correctly your body won't follow your mind." 

"I know but I just can't." 

"Of course you can, it's all in your mind." 

Silence.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to scold you but we're all still worried for you." 

"You shouldn't. I will make an effort." 

Mai was sincere as she said those words. If she really wanted to become stronger she would indeed have to eat, not in huge quantities but at least normally.