Chapter Seventy-Nine: Tobi or not Tobi??

Mai and Tobi landed in some cave. Mai couldn't tell where they were located precisely though. 

"So... What are your plans for the war?" Mai asked the man bluntly.

"You are really straightforward..." Tobi noted. 

"I hate wasting my time. I like to get straight to the point every time I do something."

"That's a very good quality."

"So...?"

"Just wait for now. We'll see everything tomorrow. You should go get some sleep now. Today has been a really eventful day..." 

"... And where am I supposed to sleep?" 

"Here."

"You mean... On the ground...?"

"Oh yes, right. I've forgotten to tell you... Here, it won't be as comfortable as the place you lived in. But you'll get used to it soon."

".... I guess so."

So Mai sat on the ground swiftly before laying down on the dirt.

She could already tell that this was going to be a long night...

"Good night..."

Tobi went to sit not that far from her, leaning against the wall of the cave, and kept observing her back for a while. 

Mai spent most of the night (and when I say most in fact it means all night long) thinking about Kakashi and their daughter. She was feeling bad now for having been mad at him earlier... She just wished she could go see him and make sure he was okay. It's not as if she could have told him what she really had in mind. Once again, everything had happened too fast... She had made her decision on the spur of the moment. That was probably not the best decision she had made in her life but now she had to stick to it. Anyway, had she told Kakashi he would have never let her do it...

She just hoped now that he wouldn't do something... stupid...

His father had committed suicide... So now she was just imagining the worst...

Maybe she was just overreacting....

In the early morning, she went outside to watch the sun rise. She had always loved watching sunrises and sunsets; She found them so pleasant and beautiful.

"Already up, eh?" Tobi said as he appeared behind her as the sun was now high in the sky.

"Yes... I could hardly sleep..."

"I know how it feels..."

"So..."

"Don't be too hasty, Mai. I'll tell you soon enough. But first...."

".....?" Mai looked at him expectantly.

"I need to make sure that you won't betray me..."

"....Why would I take such a risk? I'm not stupid," she pointed out, even though her instincts were telling her that something bad was about to happen. 

"I know. You are very, very far from being stupid, my dear Mai. And that's why I should distrust you even more..."

"......What are you planning on doing to me?"

"Nothing.... For now.... Just know that....." he trailed off before grabbing her throat with his hand, taking her off guard. "If you dare betray me... You'll regret it.... Am I being clear....?" he asked her as his sharingan was spinning. 

"........"

"I... won't... We.. have the same objective..."

Tobi took a good look at her before letting go of her.