Chapter Sixty: Revenge

When the time had come, Mai got ready for her oncoming fight.

Early in the morning, Mai had heard Shikamaru leaving the house in silence for she was still staying there, sleeping in the living room.

She had just pretended to be still asleep, and once he had left she had left the house as well and made her way to the Hokage Tower to get the stuff she needed. She had a specific place in her room where she mainly kept different scrolls and the Yondaime's special Kunai as well as various medical stuff.

She wasn't going to go join Shikamaru and his teammates immediately since the Nara boy was already quite upset with her. No, instead she would wait for them to find the Akatsuki guys and arrive more or less right before the fight began, if her calculations were not too bad. Anyway, she had managed to touch Shikamaru to put her special mark on him, so she could teleport instantly where he was. So that should be okay for her.

But as she was taking everything she needed she felt dizzy again, and felt like throwing up. So she hurried away to the bathrooms, unwilling to throw up on the floor another time.

She was also suffering from cramping, which wasn't too much pleasant. But she wouldn't let that stop her.

"Stupid pregnancy.." she muttered under her breath.

She went back to getting herself ready, but when she was finally all ready to leave the Tower, she bumped into her mother.

"Mind to tell me where you're going so early Mai?" Her mother asked her almost sternly as if she had guessed what Mai intended to do.

"Kaa-Chan, you won't prevent me from doing what I want to do."

"In case you don't know, Kakashi is already going with them," Tsunade informed her.

Mai hadn't expected that to happen. Well, if she had been staying with him, she would have known.

She was the one supposed to go there.

What if something happened to him?

If one of them only had managed to kill Asuma, they could kill him as well...

Mai became paler just thinking of that.

"How do you know this?"

"Well, I was on my way to go see you when I noticed Shikamaru and his teammates were about to leave the village. And Kakashi was there as well."

"Sorry Kaa-Chan, But I have to go too."

"No, I don't think so, Mai. You're not going anywhere," Tsunade replied firmly, crossing her arms.

"Kaa-Chan, don't start with that again. I don't want to argue with you, let alone fight."

Tsunade frowned at her.

"You are totally unconscious."

"Kaa-Chan, I am the Hokage, so this is my duty to go and fight. And I can defend myself you know, I am strong enough."

"You may be the Hokage, but you're pregnant. And you want to go fight!"

"No, I'm not."

"Don't try to fool me Mai. I know what the signs are. I experienced this when I was pregnant with you, and I know that you did it."

"And so what, it's not even visible and it's not as if I had a real baby living in my stomach anyway."

Tsunade frowned again.

"That doesn't matter! You're just in no condition to fight; so you're staying here!"

"Of course I can fight! Just can't you trust me for once? I am not a child anymore."