Chapter Fifty-Eight: New mission

"Alright. If I asked you to come it's first to let you both know that I accepted Sai's request to remain into Team Seven," Mai explained to Kakashi and Yamato as she was leaning on her desk.

"But why did you make such a decision Godaime-Sama? I mean there is already Akira to replace Sasuke, and you discovered what Danzō's real intentions were," Yamato pointed out.

"Yes, you're right Yamato, but as a Root member that Danzō trusts, Sai is a key element and the only link we have with the Root. So I prefer to keep an eye on him. Also, I think that his staying in Team Seven is the best thing that can happen to him, you see."

"Of course, I understand, Godaime-Sama," Yamato replied gravely.

"Also, I wanted to tell you that we have to interrupt Naruto's and Akira's training for a bit. I have a mission for both of you. As we all know, the Akatsuki is very likely to come back soon to Konoha, though we don't know precisely when. So Kakashi, I need you to investigate to know if the some of their members are already on their way. I want to be informed on their every move. Could you do that for me?"

"Of course."

"Good. And as for you, Yamato, I also have a mission for you. So could you go get Naruto and the others so that I can explain to all of you at the same time what the mission consists in?"

"Of course, Godaime-Sama. I'll get going now." Yamato said before bowing his head and leaving quickly.

"Well, I guess I should get going too," Kakashi spoke up as he was about to turn around to leave as well.

"Wait," Mai said to him as she moved away from her desk to make her way towards the man. "Just be careful, okay?" She said softly once she was close to him.

"Oh, you're worried for me?" Kakashi said playfully.

"Please, I'm being serious."

"Mai, don't you worry for me; I'll be fine, okay?" Kakashi assured her as he took her hands in his.

Mai nodded slowly before hugging him shortly but tightly.

"I'll try to come back as soon as possible," Kakashi stated.

"Take your time. No, I mean no matter how long it'll take, I'll just wait."

Kakashi kept staring at Mai in silence before kissing her forehead.

"I'll see you soon. Just take care of you. Don't overwork yourself too much, okay?"

"Don't worry, I won't do more than necessary."

"Is that supposed to reassure me?"

"But I won't be alone, don't worry."

"I know you won't. But I also know that you're stubborn."

"Me? No, I'm just a bit too committed to my job I guess."

"That's a way of putting it."

Mai gave him a small smile.

"Come on, you should go before they arrive."

"Yes, I guess you're right. I'd like to avoid any awkward moment."

"See you."

Kakashi gave her a bright smile before leaving.

A while after Team Seven arrived in Mai's office.

"Why did you ask us to come here Godaime-Mai?" Naruto inquired as soon as they had entered the room.

"Why do you think I have asked you to come here? For a tea party?" Mai retorted, trying not to be too brutal with him.