CHAPTER 13: Karrueche 'IT GIRL' Tran

"How'd your exam go Jay?"

I bit my bottom lip.

"I think I did well,"

"That's my girl!" mum leaped, hugging me on the doorstep.

"Ma," I cried, "your suffocating me!"

She gave one last squeeze then released me.

"Well come in then, I've got a surprise,"

I screamed. It was a neon pink Cambridge satchel. I'd always wanted one...since last week.

"Thanks mum," I grinned from ear to ear, caressing the firm leather. I couldn't wait to brag in Lee's face about this tomorrow.

"Anything for my baby," she smiled "...could you do mummy a favour?"

My grin faded; I knew this would come with a catch.

"I did a couple more shoots and I need to sort these as their getting blown up," I grumbled lowly and slid off my school bag, leaving it on the coach as well as my new satchel.

"You remember Dope Denim right?" mum asked as I approached photographs scattered over the glass table, "they're launching their line and hosting a show this Friday. Marco and Dayle invited me. They invited you too,"

I turned towards her, pulling a face. Who the hell were Marco and Dayle?

"The two young designers,"

"Oh...but they don't even know me so why-?"

"The guys want to meet you. I talk to them about you all the time,"

I covered my face embarrassed and she giggled, "mum!"

"They also think you're made up. Don't believe a woman who looks as young as me can have a daughter as old as you,"

If anything was old, it was the braids she flicked back and forth whilst skinning a row of teeth.

I rolled my eyes.

"So you'll come then?"

I really didn't want to but I knew this woman would pester me all day.

"Okay,"

"Great!" she squealed, "now...these photos."

I had to get away from mum for a bit, she was driving me crazy. I was now sitting on the staircase on the phone to Lee.

"So, you'll come?" I repeat mum's question.

"No,"

"What?" I'm taken back, "but you love fashion...and shows, Lee, why not?!"

"Well from what I heard last about this so called 'Dope Denim', you said the designs were pretty bland. So Jay, tell me why I would sit in a show for hours, on a Friday night, trying to keep down my vomit over the sight of, dare I say it, bland clothes!"

Lee was irritably funny. I wanted to punch him.

"Oh Lee, please, for me,"

"Sorry, I've got plans anyway,"

"With who?!" I ask furious, who's more important than me?

He hesitates, "Betti,"

My eyes turn red.

"Have fun!" I spit.

"Your-" I hang up.

"Yes Jay, but what about this one?"