CHAPTER 24: Asher 'FREAK' Solomon

I was lying on Asher's bed, Asher was sat by his desk.
'I'm hungry,' I murmured. We were supposed to be going to TGI's later.
'Mm,' Asher replied, busy at his screen.
Soon I faintly heard his front door slam shut.
'Who's that?' I asked.
Asher wasn't listening.
'Asher!'
'What?' he spun around.
'I heard the door,'
'Oh that's probably my dad,'
It was only the first week of the Christmas holidays but already I'd spent most of my time at Asher's. We were supposed to be studying for our Media exam, that was my excuse for being here, but that was never the case. Furthermore as Asher and I were always alone, I had forgotten the prospect of him having parents, so his father sounding through the door was somewhat a surprise.
'You said we'd revise today,' I said.
'What does it look like I'm doing?' Asher replied, typing away on his laptop.
'Oh my days!' I shrieked as he cackled.

*

'You've got everything?' Asher questioned.
I nodded, smiled and inhaled his colon. He was dressed pretty casual, a white tee, jeans and a black bomber jacket. Mmm.
He smiled back, zipping up and closing his bedroom door behind him. He followed me downstairs where the air was filled with laughter.
'Asher is that you?' a lady's voice echoed from the kitchen.
'Yeah?' Asher called.
'Come here!' the voice replied.
'I'll stay here,' I asserted.
'Na, come say hello.'
We stepped into his show room kitchen and was met by Asher's father seated on a breakfast chair, whereas the lady, who I assumed was his dad's girlfriend, was pouring a glass of wine.
'Asher... O, who's your lady friend?' she beamed, placing down the bottle.
'This is Jay,'
'Hi,' I squeaked.
She flashed her pearly whites at me then back at Asher.
'She's pretty,'
'I know,'
'Are you guys together?'
Asher's face dropped.
'Why are you always bothering the boy?' Asher's father asked, though he barley paid attention to us as his eyes were set on his tablet.
'Michelle we're going, bye,'
Asher took me by the waist and swivelled me to the door.
'You take care of her you,' she shot when we were out of the kitchen.

We walked hand in hand to the train station. In as much as Asher gave the illusion that we were an item, he was very careful about where we went and who we met. That meant that even if we were going to grab something to eat, we'd have to travel way past Malden Way.
'She seemed nice,' I began.
Asher pulled a face, raising his eyebrow.
'Is she your-'
Before I could even finish my sentence he stopped me in my tracks, 'oh, no, no, no, my dad's current past time,' he spat.
'Wow, that's...harsh,'
He shrugged, 'it's the truth,'
There was an awkward silence at the train station and a sick feeling in my gut.

'You're a prick,' I muttered.

'What?' Asher said twisting his face.

I wanted to take back what I said but at the same time I meant it. I mean, if he thought about her like that, what on earth did he think about me?

Asher laughed, 'what's wrong with you?'

Karrueche was still his girlfriend after all.

'Jay? What did I fucking say?'

And yet here we were.

'Jay?'

I wasn't really responding until he got me by my arm and pulled me into him.

'Asher let go,' I groaned.

He didn't.

'No, not until my baby tells me what's wrong,'

Baby?

And that anger, as it usually did, feathered away.

*