II

I shot out of bed a layer of sweat covering my body and pieces of hair sticking to my forehead, I looked around horrified.

Another nightmare.

"GET OUT OF BED, the first day of school!", My mother yelled from the kitchen and I groaned dragging my tired body out of bed.

When my foot hit the hardwood floor of my room it slipped forward, I looked down at my bare feet to see them covered in mud, cuts, and sores.

My eyebrows pushed themselves together as I look in the mirror, my hair was a mess and my face covered in dirt and my eyes puffy from... crying?

I pulled a twig out my hair and dropped it on the ground.

So now I'm sleepwalking?

What did I do roll down a hill?

I moved a mat over to cover the muddy footprints and walked into the bathroom on my toes to avoid further mud stains.

I washed my face and smeared a layer of concealer under my eyes to make myself look a little less dead.

I struggled to brush out my hair, it being full of tangles and I winced in pain and I forced the brush through my hair starting at my ends, slowly and painfully smoothing it out.

I sprayed my hair with heat protectant and began to straighten my hair turning it on the highest setting, enjoying the low sizzling when the hair straightener touched my hair.

"Sweetie breakfast is ready!", My mom yelled and I looked out my door placing my hair straightener down to see my mom smiling at me.

"Okay mom", I said blindly reaching for the hair straightener wrapping my hands around the hot part- the sound of my flesh burning made me quickly drop it, I looked at my hand to see that there was nothing wrong with it and I looked up at my mirror to just barely catch my eyes flashing red.

-

-

-

I walked to the bus stop kicking rocks around and staring down at my hands.

I stood at the bus stop alone, thinking about the dream I had last night.

thinking about how maybe I was going crazy, I have never sleepwalked before, and if I did where did I go?

I was missing a pair of shoes and my feet still hurt, they were covered in blisters.

I untangled my headphones from my pocket and placed them into my ears and blasted my music. Hoping it would block out all my crazy theories.

I sat on top of a large rock and looked down at a large puddle on the ground that had formed from it raining so much.

I slowly placed my hand in the water when it sizzled and evaporated around my hand and I quickly snatched it back horrified, ripping my headphones out and looking around to see if anyone had seen, but the only other people at my bus stop were making out against a stop sign, I put my hand back into the water and nothing happened, I looked behind me back at the couple kissing, the chain hanging off the pole rattling as they pressed against it.

Flashes of my dream- my nightmare, flashed in my mind, now remembering details from it, my hands were tied with chains.

The loud sound of the bus stopping caught my attention and I glanced down at my hand to see that the puddle was completely gone, I held my hand to my chest while I jogged to the bus sitting in the back and putting my headphones back in.

Not listening to anything, but just wanting to muffle the sounds around me. I stared down at my hands and took a deep breath- I'm crazy.

I was normal, I was supposed to be going to school dances and being stressed out by homework.

Now I'm wondering if my dream was even a dream.

Maybe I was in a movie? Punked? I looked around for cameras.

Then laughed to myself.