2.31 A fork in the road

"Oh my god, how you have the stamina to run that long, is beyond me. I feel bad for Aang."   Raiko pants as Asha throws open the doors, both running from the outside of the palace to the center, where the king was waiting for them (Theoretically). 

"I'm sorry? Why would you feel sorry for Aang?" Asha pauses, looking back to the blonde, head tilted.

"Forget it. Look there's the Earth King." Raiko tries to evade the question, Asha obviously much too innocent for the joke.   

Bosco lays beside the King, who looks utterly confused by the entrance of the girl, both watching the Onsra walk into the room much slower than she originally was going.

"Your Majesty, I'm so sorry for the interruption, but I-" She's interrupted by the doors slamming once more, this time Aang, Toph and Sokka running in. 

"Your Maj- Raiko? Asha?" Sokka trails off looking to the other two.  He furrows his brows at the two who turn at the slam. 

"Ash!" Aang is quick to run to Asha, the two hugging tightly, the momentum spinning them slightly as they clutch onto each other. 

"Are you okay? I felt the emotions that ran through you, and it- it didn't feel good." Aang whispers, the girl only nodding as she pulls him closer to herself. 

"I missed you so much. Did you master the Avatar State?" She pulls away, but still holds onto Aang's arms, careful blue eyes scanning his face as it scrunches in discontent. She could feel the remorse and reluctance from Aang, making her own stomach twist.

'No. I didn't.' 

"Aw, Aang. It's okay. I- I didn't either. I wasn't able to unlock my seventh Chakra." She whispered, admittedly a lot softer than she meant too.

"Me neither."  The two remain latched to each other, whispering soft reassurances and affirmations while Raiko and Sokka explain to the Earth King why they were there.

"Katara's fine. You have nothing to worry about." The Earth King tries to reassure, but the look on the kids' faces do nothing to tell him they're convinced.

"But, in my vision. I felt so sure that she was in trouble." Aang looks down, Asha giving him a reassuring squeeze.

"Well, she met with the Council of Generals to plan the invasion. And since then she's been off with your friends, the Kyoshi Warriors." 

"See Aang? She's with Suki. They're probably back at out apartment right now, talking about make-up or something." Sokka places a hand on Aang's shoulder, the boy looking down as neither Avatar nor Onsra feel their bad guttural feeling let up.

"Maybe you're right..." The air bender lays his head on Asha's, desperately trying to now will away the feeling for both of their sakes. 

"Believe me, if there was any danger at all, Bosco's animal instinct would sense it."

___

Oh, how wrong the Earth King was. 

The group had gotten back to the apartment only to find it empty, barren, clean just as they had left it. The only thing greeting them was Momo, who chattered excitedly while climbing onto Aang's shoulder, the air bender cheering excitedly in greeting..

"There's no one else here." Toph lightly stamps a foot, most likely using vibrations to sense any other beings.

"Katara is in trouble! I knew it!" Aang stands up straight as he furrows a brow, his voice muffled by the angle of his head.

"Oh no."  Sokka looks around hurriedly, even though the facts were staring at him in the face from the beginning. 

"Wait, someone's at the door." Toph looks up, Asha following her gaze. Walking over to the window, the brunette glances out of the window; where a familiar head of grey hair meets her vision.