1.3. Dragon Wings

"So your... Katara?"  Asha asked, sitting criss-crossed on the ground facing the Water tribe woman-- who she could tell was from a water tribe based on the betrothal necklace around her neck.

"Yep! And that's my brother, Sokka."  Katara smiled, holding a hand for the air nomad; who shook it with a gentle smile of her own. 

"I'm Asha, an old friend of Aang's, I suppose you could call it." 

"That's great and all, but how do you know Aang?  How do we know you didn't just brainwash him into thinking your his friend from over a hundred years ago just to get close and-"Sokka crawled closer and closer with every word, Asha stepping back with a furrowed brows and hands held out defensively.

"I'm gonna stop you right there.  First off, Asha is an air nomad name meaning hope. Secondly, my staff is genuine, check the carving. Finally, I have a flying animal, which was the air benders best friend."  Asha pushed Sokka by his forehead, the boy landing on his butt with a grunt. 

"Relax Sokka, takes more than that to confuse me!" Aang proclaimed proudly, throwing his  fist to his chest.

Asha snickered as the siblings deadpanned towards the Avatar. 

"What?"

"Nothing there bud. Look we gotta go, nice meeting you and all Asha, but we got places to go; people to see." Sokka started walking away to where the flying bison sat, awaiting his passengers. 

Shrugging, Asha stood up and walked over to Appa, patting his head and receiving a giant wet lick as a reward. Then, after a giggle, kiss to his snout and a quick air wave clean, she walked over to Aang giving him a hug.

"I thought you were coming with us." He whispered in her ear, silently killing Sokka for making a bad impression. This was the one other air bender and she was pushed away just because Sokka had trust issues.

"I'll find a way. Maybe run into Gumi, I'll find you. Don't worry."  She pulled away, smiling at him with gleaming teeth. A bright red flooded his cheeks at the smile. 

Pulling away and walking to the entrance of the shelter, griping her staff.  "Have fun with saving the world!" She smiled big and jumped out of the shelter. Gliding away. Katara walked behind her brother, smacking him before he could say anything.

"How could you do that?! Not only was that one of the last air benders alive, but one of the only things Aang has left from before the war!"  She yelled, throwing her arms up for emphasis. 

"Look, we had no idea where she came from, or who she really was. I mean how could she have survived over a hundred years and still look like a sixteen year old?! Plus she's wearing water tribe clothing!" He yelled back, his own arms raising for emphasis. 

Aang looked up from his task-- which was currently saddling Appa-- and remember an old bit of the stories he was told of the Onsra. 

'Many Onsra harness both the willpower and sheer power to enter the Avatar state. For most, it happens when the Avatar can sense either them self  or the Onsra are in grave danger.  Or even when the Onsra is feeling extreme cases of emotion. Subconsciously, the Avatar's greatest goal in life is to protect the only one who will understand them. If separated for too long, the spirit world will guide the Avatar to their Onsra through not only visions when meditating, but feelings of natural navigation. Almost a pulling feeling.  If all else fails, their chosen spirit guides will do what they can when dealing with the Avatar and Onsra.'

"Look, it's fine. She told me she'd find us again when the time was right. I trust her."  Aang smiled, hearing a grunt come from Appa. Thinking of Asha as his Onsra was a dangerous road to go down, but it was the only one that didn't have that small voice screaming at him.