Chapter 28: Suffering of love

Sesshomaru stared at her, thinking of the home that she rarely spoke about. But she just kept her eyes on Yumi, who continued to nurse from her mother. He waited patiently, knowing that it would be hard for Kagome to trust him with something like this. After all, he knew that for the longest time she had hoped to escape to her homeland and to her family from him.

"No one would be able to follow me there." She whispered after Yumi had fallen asleep.

How he loved seeing his child suckle at her mother's breast, even as that child fell asleep suckling.

"But I don't know if the children can follow me there."

"I don't understand, why wouldn't they be able to follow you there?"

Would her family reject their children? He was already uncomfortable with the idea of Kagome returning to her former home. He knew that she would likely be safe there with her family and their children as he was off, fighting for their survival against the others that would take all that was his.

She turned to look at their children as if the thought of leaving them for a moment was an unbearable one. To which, he would agree with.

The idea of not being with her and their children was an unbearable one for him.

"The passage to my home would only allow me...and Inuyasha through." She said as she moved Yumi away from her breast to cover herself again.

Sesshomaru said nothing and just stared at her for a moment. His brother was a threat to their children and was able to go to what might be the only safe place for them in the coming days. His brother continued to be a thorn in his paw, a thorn that he needed to remove for the sake of his family's safety.

Though he knew that his father would be upset with him for what he would do; it did not matter to him when faced with what his family needed to be safe.

"I will deal with Inuyasha then before we go to your family's home." He informed her.

She looked at him, a questioning look appeared in her eyes as if she didn't understand what he was telling her. But it clear to be the case when she asked him. "What do you mean deal with Inuyasha? He has nothing to do with this? I'm not even sure that the well will even open for us anymore."

Her words only reminded him all the more that Kagome was tired and needed rest. How he had forgotten that she had just given birth was beyond him but it was clear that the conversation needed to end for a time.

Taking Yumi away, he placed her with the others as he thought of how to answer her question since he knew that she would not rest until she gain it. But how could he approach this? Kagome would never believe that his brother would be a threat to their children, that he wanted to paint his claws red with their innocent blood. She saw something in the twist, foolish creature that shared blood with him. His brother has been twisted by life and the beings in this realm, something that he would do his best to keep from happening to Yumi.

He knew that he was to blame for never being there for his half brother, but whenever he looked at his brother...he would be reminded of their father and the sacrifice made by him for a newborn that would grow into an ungrateful half-breed that would stain his claws with innocent blood.

Not even he had ever done that.

"My brother will do whatever he needs to get what he wants in the end, Kagome and you are what he wants most of all in this world." He watched her, waiting for what she would say to his words. The answer was a cruel one.

"I know...he was once the one thing that I wanted most in this life too."

How those words cut him to the quick; his soul was left raw and bleeding from open wounds done by her words. His brother was the thing that she had wanted most in life when it should be him that she wanted most. He was the one that cared for her, slept at her side every night and gave her the honor of birthing his children but he was found lacking compared to his brother in her beautiful ocean blue gaze.