29

&29

&
29

JACKSON HALE

This is my pack too. The words from the love of my life sent fire to my heart.

I watched as Spencer walked away from me and to the side of Kate. Tori reluctantly gave her mate to mine so they could go to the packhouse. The one where we have meetings and a small werewolf hospital. Rooms for the sick to heal: that packhouse.

"How is she still alive?" Tori asked once she walked up to me.

When Spencer saved my life she was immediately knocked out by the blast. I thought for sure she was gone, my heart tore as she lay still and stiff, I couldn't breathe. But she awoke, oblivious to the blood streaming down the side of her head and her beautiful face covered in dirt. Her black dress was torn and dirtied. She looked like death but she was right in front of me, alive. The human body still amazes me even with myself being half-human.

"Because she's Spencer Murdock," I murmur before turning away from them and looking at Tori. Her face bears no injuries but the smoke of the blast covered half of it. Thank the moon goddess that we are werewolves. "Tell me you have a plan."

"You're the alpha! I thought you did." She argued.

"We don't have time for this!" I groaned looking at the attack. My regular men fought in their wolf form, attacking the perpetrators. The humans seemed to be beating them. Stuffed with weapons of silver.

"We need to stop this," Tori murmured. I silently agreed with my best friend.

Looking through the crowds I spot Cayden holding my little sister behind a tree. He wrapped his arm around her body and handheld her head gently into his chest. Cayden didn't want Claire anywhere involved with this.

Running to them, with Tori following shortly behind, I reach them. Cayden looked at me with fear in his eyes. Not for him but for his mate.

"Claire," I say through the noise of silver bullets being shot at my pack. "Claire, look at me."

My sister pops her head out helplessly and squeezes Cayden tight. A tear runs down her face and her hair sticks to the sides of her cheeks. She looks like the rest of us, fortunately with abnormal healing, and no surface injuries.

"Spencer is coming back with help. I want you to leave with her." She nods her head at me. "Tori is going to stay with you. I need my beta by my side." She looks at Cayden hesitantly before nodding her head in agreement.

Cayden looks at me conflicted. He needs to choose between his duty as my beta or protecting his mate from what's behind them. A difficult decision I could imagine. I know his father trained him well, and Cayden knows how to be the best beta in our generation. We are both 18, ready as ever to take over the pack. To protect it.