21

*

*

21

JACKSON HALE

"How could you be so stupid?" I exclaimed trying to hold back my anger. At this point I wanted her to see how upset I was so she could understand. 

"Jackson! He wanted to meet me and I couldn't just turn it down!" Spencer argued back, her hair over her shoulder. I looked into her big doe eyes that looked up with so much anger but also a hint of curiosity. I pulled her close to me and wrapped my arms around her small frame.

"You could have gotten hurt," I whispered worriedly in her ear. "You don't think about the people who care about you."

"But I wasn't hurt." She breathed in my ear sending shivers down my spine. "Jackson," she pulled away from me taking the comfortable warmth with her. "you should have seen him."

I tucked a piece of her amber silky hair behind her ear and cupped her cheeks with the palms of my hands.

"He was so scared, so hurt." She whispered softly, I could see her getting lost in the tension I'm setting.

"You could have gotten hurt," I repeated and she looked down in shame.

"I know, I'm sorry. But he needed me, Jackson. I don't regret going." I closed my eyes and rested my forehead against hers. I could feel her breath fan my face.

"You are so damn stubborn." I groaned. Spencer chuckled and pecked my lips. I smiled and opened my eyes to her beautiful blue ones.

"I'm sorry." She mumbled.

I smiled. "Don't be."

"I'm glad you guys are lovey-dovey but we need to talk." Tori interrupted behind me. I sighed and turned around to face her. Tori had her hand on her hip with a mother-like scorn as if she were to lecture me about something.

I rolled my eyes at her and slipped my hand into Spencer's. My father walked up to us and stopped with a stern look on his face. Subconsciously, I pulled Spencer closer behind me. My father looked at me then her then me.

"She's brave but stupid." He growled. "The vampires cannot be trusted... especially Derek."

"Sir, I believe you are wrong," Spencer said behind me trying to move around my body.

Immediately I squeezed her hand, held her back, and said, "This is my dad and our Alpha, Spencer." It was a warning to treat him with respect.

"I assumed that," she stepped in front of me. "I apologize for being so rude but, respectfully, I think you have Derek wrong."

"Respectfully, you've only known the supernatural for a few days," Dad said as he studied my mate with a glare stubborn in his eyes. He was judging Spencer already.

"Spencer is smart, Alpha," Cayden spoke up, getting closer to us unafraid of the Alpha's anger. Maybe the instinct to protect his future luna swarmed his emotions blinding him to the dangers of disrespecting my father.

"Cayden." Beta Fredrick warned attempting to stop his son before he made a mistake.

"Beta, I suggest you not silence a member of this pack again. He has the right to an opinion." Dad told his father. He looked at my best friend with open ears, listening to what he had to say.

"Yes, sir."

"We are going to head back to the house and Mrs. Spencer is going to come with us. Jackson, you take her car." He ordered.

"Yes, Father." I agreed and quickly dragged my mate out of the building.

I heard the thumps of shoes on the dirt behind me and was on guard. A second later Tori and Cayden came into view. Cayden smiled knowingly at me and Tori eyed Spencer curiously.

"We're coming with you," Tori said as she scooted closer to Spencer's side walking to the car.

"Fine," I said bitterly, I was still kind of mad that Derek had the balls to do what he did knowing how I would feel about it. I swear the next time I see him, he's dead.

____

The car zipped silently down the freeway and Tori's shitty rap music was playing on the radio. Spencer sat in the passenger seat looking out the window. Cayden and Tori were in the back seat playing thumb wars and arguing about one of them cheating.

"Ugh, you're a fucking jerk," Tori growled viciously.

"Whatever, sour loser," Cayden said as he smirked at her frustration.

Spencer cleared her throat causing the car to go silent with the exception of the music. She turned down the radio and looked at us nervously. "So, I've been doing some research and questioning with Diego and I have a question that he said I should ask you guys." She took in a deep breath. "What does it mean to 'complete the mate bond'?"

We were still silent. We didn't know how to answer that question without it being awkward. Tori looked out her window and sank into her seat. Cayden gave me an amused grin and a look that read 'This is on you'.

"Well- uh-" I cleared my throat and my cheeks heated up in embarrassment. "To complete the mate bond... the two mates have to 'seal the deal' and afterward... they become even more attracted to each other."

"Seal the deal? As in-"

"Yeah." I nodded my head. I took a second to look at Spencer in her seat and she looked at me. She didn't look embarrassed... more interested. Which took me for a spin. 

Tori popped her head between us and smiled. "But it will all be worth it." She commented.

"Have you found your mate yet?" Spencer asked curiously.

"Yes, but-" she looked nervous. "it's complicated. She's complicated."

"Can't be more complicated than Jackson and I."

Tori gave a small relief smile that Spencer didn't even comment that her mate was a girl. Seeing as she knows about Diego and I think that kid at the cafe is gay... I didn't expect any less from her.

I felt a warm hand with dainty fingers slip into my palm on the gear shift. I looked at the owner to see Spencer conversing with Tori. I looked at the road and then the rearview mirror to see Cayden typing furiously on his phone.

I couldn't stop thinking about Spencer talking to my father. What would they say? Most likely, he's gonna ask to speak to her alone. Should I let him? I mean I have to... but... I don't know. What if Spencer feels uncomfortable? I want her to like my family and not be scared of them.

I squeezed Spencer's small hand tighter. I felt a wave of comfortable warmth wash over me. I knew that whatever happened, we'd be fine. Spencer and I will stick together.

this is Stacy (the girl Jackson messed around with)