20

*20

*
20

SPENCER MURDOCK

My sneakers squeaked across the tile of the café as I looked around for Jeff. I couldn't find the brown-haired boy but in his place was Jamie who had her long hair in a ponytail and her thick glasses right up to the bridge of her nose.

"Hey," I said and she looked at me. There was no one in the cafe but she was making an order.

"Hey, someone called in for a latte so gives me a second." She mumbled as she was trying to use the espresso machine.

"Where's Jeff?" I ask.

"In the back." I sigh in relief and walk down the hall. In the little room is a tall lean boy who was bobbing his head back and forth to the music in his earbuds.

Tapping on his shoulder he turned around startled. His eyes widen and he pulled out his music. I smiled at him shyly.

"Spencer! What the- you scared the shit outta me." Jeff exclaimed.

"Sorry. I just wanted to know why I'm not working more." I asked him.

"You almost gave me a heart attack for that question?" He asked slightly annoyed it was rooming in this closet so we stayed where we were.

"Did I do something wrong? Did I mess up? Whatever it is I'll fix it. Just please, I need this job." I begged and he quickly grabbed my hand.

"No no, you're great! It wasn't you. A friend of yours came in and asked if I could lay off work for you. Said you were very stressed and needed to get yourself together." He explained. "Actually, he came in today."

"What friend?" Who would do that? There are only so few options... I don't have that many friends.

"He was tall, pale, and hot with blond hair and blue eyes because for some reason hot people are your only friends. I think his name was Darren, Damien, uh-"

"Derek?"

"Oh yeah yeah," Jeff confirmed.

"What else did he say?" I asked, my heart beating rapidly and my palms sweating in fear. I can't have Derek harm him. Jeff was all I had for years, my only friend.

"Well, he came in today to see if I could send you a message." He shrugged. "He wants you to meet him at that old abandon warehouse on Helmet St., at 6 today."

I held my breath tightly, it constricted in my throat as well. I could almost feel my hands trembling, I still remember how it felt for him to hold me against the wall. How he had tried to kiss and call me another name. My hands tremble in anger, I couldn't believe he'd come to my workplace and talk to my friend knowing that I'd figure it out. What was he doing?