23

*

*

23

JACKSON HALE

I studied my beautiful mate, her long hair cascading down her shoulders and her plump glossy lips enticing me. I loved the way she took charge in that room, just like a Luna would do in her pack. Would the Blood Moon pack accept my Spencer as their queen, someone to follow? It's more of a need than a want by now, my father is slowly reaching the age of retirement and I can't take up the throne without a strong independent woman by my side. The pack would surely crumble with only one leader.

After my father left the room, Tori approached the two of us with a slightly panicked look pained on her tan smooth face. She looked bothered and anxious like the problem was more than it seems. That this mystery man wanted more than we can give and she had an idea about it all.

"Something about this feels bad, Jackson." She murmured in a low whisper. "Why us? Why now?"

"That's what we're trying to figure out," I told her but she just looked at Spencer.

"Why did this start when we moved to the human high school?" She asked and Spencer's eyes widened.

"You think I have something to do with this?" Spencer exclaimed in a hushed voice. She stared at Victoria was an exasperated expression as if my mate was upset by the insinuation. 

"What? No!" Tori combated trying to calm her down. I knew Tori would never blame her future Luna for any harm like that. "I'm just saying, moving to the human world, and then a human begins to attack us. Hell, he's using one of our own kind."

"Derek is not a part of us," I growled warningly. I would never see those disgusting bloodsuckers as one of us. Even Diego; even he wants to protect Spencer. 

"He's part of the supernatural and our city which means he's one of us. They all are." Tori commented. She twirled her brown thick hair nervously as she scanned the room around us. Her fingers trembled against the skin of her shoulder.

"That man isn't killing vampires or mermaids or fucking witches. He's targeting werewolves, specifically our pack." I argue.

"Tori, are you okay?" Spencer asked as she took Tori's shaky hands into her own. Victoria looked at her finding warmth in Spencer's presence. 

"I just have a really bad feeling," Tori whispered and I looked at her with concern. I haven't seen her this freaked out in years. The last time she looked like this was when my mother had her accident, she's better now but Tori was so worried she almost passed out. It was like she could feel impending doom.

"Spencer, maybe you should go home," I told her, I don't want anything to happen to her. She's the only person that could anchor me back from everything. Without her, I wouldn't know how to stop myself. Who would I live for?