08

08

SPENCER MURDOCK

It's finally Friday, rally day. The school assigned me to the entrance, making sure all the students knew where to sit. The freshman with their year and so on. Diego and I have been putting on our couple's performance for the school. In all honesty, the only people who care are the new kids. And Jackson.

Sometimes I see Jackson glaring at Diego which gives me hope that we have a chance. After Diego and I are done with whatever we are doing, I can shoot my chance to him. Ask him out on a date, kiss him under the stars and do a lot of other cheesy stuff. I'm just waiting for that day to come. If it ever comes.

"Hey, 'babe'," Diego says wrapping his arms around me from behind. "So my parents want to meet you." He whispers in my ear. There's a little quiver in his voice like he could be worried about me meeting them.

I turn around and look up at him. His eyes stare into mine with worry. Not lust or anything like that but worry. I just don't understand why his family is a normal family. Two parents, siblings, and a nice house. Given its thirty minutes away. In a town called Jamesville. Like it came out of a Dr. Seuss children's book.

"It'll be fine," I tell him with a small smile.

He looks slightly away. "You don't know my family. They'll eat you alive."

"I think I can handle them," I tell him but he just looks behind me. I follow his gaze to see Jackson barely walking in with his friends. He looks this way making my heart beat harshly against my chest. My palms begin to sweat and my breath hitches.

"Calm down." Diego whispers in my ear. How he knew the inside of my body is in panic mode is beyond my knowledge. At this point, I didn't care. I didn't hear the rest of his words. It came to muffled and the world around me was blurred.

I focused on Jackson like it was the end of the world. The feeling I felt could kill me. It felt as if my limbs were being ripped apart piece by piece. I couldn't understand why I was feeling this way but somehow I knew it had something to do with Diego.

As if on cue, Diego pulled my attention back to him with a kiss. My heart broke into a million pieces. I didn't want to kiss him. Not in front of Jackson and not ever again. Diego pulled away after I didn't respond and smiled at me.

"You're his mate." He whispered to himself. My eyes searched for an explanation in his but he didn't give any away.

"I'm what...?" I questioned him confused but he just shook his head.

"Nothing." He told me. Diego moved a piece of my hair behind my ear and studied me. Like I was a new fish in the aquarium. As I was about to ask what he was doing I was stopped by the Timberwolf mascot.

The mascot ruffed up my hair and I chuckled at it. The Timberwolf brought me into an enthusiastic hug and offered a fist bump to Diego but he rejected it. He gave it a strange look before basically snarling.

"What the fuck are you?" Diego said viciously. I had never heard him speak that way before but it looked like it was normal to him.

"It doesn't talk," I tell him and he rolled his eyes.

"Of course, it doesn't. Your school is weird." Diego complains and I laugh at him. Pulling away from his hold I try to catch the eye of Jackson but he's nowhere to be found.

I sigh. "I have to get back to school spirit," I tell him and he nods his head. Diego kisses my cheek before leaving for the bleachers. I felt okay with his kiss on my cheek, especially since Jackson isn't watching anymore.

I'm at ease when Diego is nowhere to be seen. Now it's just me guiding students where to go and sit. Some popular music is playing in the background of the gym. I recognize it as a lot by 21 Savage and mess around with it. Students around me sing it loudly and soon, the entire school.

The balloons overhead are in school colors and formed into an arch. Some fall and rain on the students who take them and bounce them around the audience. In the middle is the rest of the student council, leadership, and cheerleaders with a few overseeing learning directors.

"Spencer, go seat those new kids over there." Mrs. Anderson told me. Immediately other girls popped up.

"The new kids?" Cassie butted in. She swayed her hair behind her and smiled. "I can get them." She says.

I hear a little desperation and hopefulness in her voice. I couldn't help to think that she wants to give a shot at Jackson. And like hell I'd let that happen. So I shook my head and gave my innocent smile.

"I can handle them, Mrs. Anderson," I told her and she looked between Cassie and me.

"How about you both do it." Mrs. Anderson suggests.

"The more the merrier," Cassie says reluctantly. I smile at Cassie and she returns it.

"Then it's settled. Both of you." The teacher says walking away to the next problem.

I ignore Cassie and walk over to Jackson and his group. Two of his friends look at me and then back at Jackson like they know something. I could see Jackson's strong jaw clenched as I stared at the back of his head. Outlining every imperfection with a glance. My heart began to beat against my chest again. But I liked it. I like being this close to him.

My smile faded when he wouldn't turn around to face me. Like he refused to look at me. My stomach dropped and I felt the need to throw up. So I clenched my own jaw. I clenched it so hard that I was in pain. I felt as if I could break my jaw. Tears prickled in my eyes.

"Hey, Jackson!" Cassie exclaimed next to me. Jackson turned around and smiled at her. Avoiding me at all times. "How are you?" She runs her fingers down his arm.

"I'm good, you?" He says as he bites the corner of his bottom lip.

"I mean yeah. But not as good as last night." She purred. My chest clenched at her words. Jackson took Cassie by the waist and smashed his lips into hers. And Cassie seemed to look like she was enjoying it. I assume this is what she wanted from him.

The vomit sitting in my stomach climbed its way up my throat. Panicking, I turned away from them and left. I walked out of the gym and then began to run further. Throwing up behind the building made me kneel over in emotional pain. Spilling the last of my contents, I spit the residue out of my mouth.

The picture of Jackson and Cassie kissing was stuck in my head and had no intention of leaving any time soon. The prickling tears flowed over the rim and ran down my cheeks. Soon they became an ugly sob, I fell to the floor, hovering my bottom over the concrete and my knees pulled to my chest.

"Fuck!" I exclaimed. I shut my eyes and clench my jaw. Fuck. Fuck.

The school mascot