09

*09

*
09

JACKSON HALE

"WOLF! PACK!" The school chanted in the gym. It was really ironic that we were transferred to a school with a wolf as their mascot.

Pulling that from my mind, I immediately thought of Spencer. I was so angry and heartbroken when she kissed Diego. Plus he's my one archenemy; she had to kiss him. When I found out that they were together now, I freaked out and invited Cassie over last night. She'd been flirting with me prior so I thought it would be an easy target.

It was a douche decision but I wasn't thinking clearly. I wanted payback. I was in the same mindset when she kissed the bloodsucker. So I kissed Cassie in front of her. I immediately regretted it afterward because Spencer's heartbeat when I wouldn't turn around killed me inside. She was worried that maybe she did something wrong. But she could never, but she had the ability to get me pissed off so I ignored her feelings.

I kissed Cassie and then I felt it. I felt sick to my stomach, it felt so wrong to kiss her. Last night was no problem, the entire time I had imagined Spencer. But now it was in front of her. It was clear that I wasn't kissing her. Someone else that I had no feelings for. Someone that liked me and I was leading along with no intention of being the lover Cassie wanted me to be.

When Spencer left, Cayden hit me. Socked me in the arm and left with Tori, who gladly went. I knew that I had fucked up. I had been talking to them about how amazing Spencer is and how I would never hurt her. Then I went back on that and they knew that I was going to regret all of it. That I needed to think about it by myself.

So I'm sitting on the bleachers with no friends around me. The school chants ironic quotes and welcoming speeches being announced through the speaker for the new kids. My mind kept going back to my mate.

I just wished that she was something other than human. Maybe we could have a life together. My original plan was to stay close to her but with her living her own life, it'd be impossible not to get jealous of the boys she's interested in. Instead, I'm going to have to scrap the entire idea and stay away from the girl. I know that will be easy for her, but it will kill me every second.

They announced the players for the upcoming rally game. A couple of kids from my school and some from this school. I wasn't listening at all, too busy watching Spencer cheer up the crowd. Like a laid-back cheerleader. And that's all I did, watch her throughout the cheering of the rally.

———

"Over there." The coach's assistant pointed to the edge of the field, standing on the track with cheerleaders practicing behind him.

Cayden, some boys from our school, and I went to the school's football coach. It was a hot day, California is a really hot state, not that we weren't used to it. I could tell it bothered the vampire boys who decided to try out.

"Coach Farmer?" I asked. He turned around his hair buzz cut and white with a similar scruffy beard. He was tall and muscular but not ripped. He was obviously human, along with the rest of the school.

"You must be the moon-something-pack school kids. Y'all lucky we need more players. Tryouts were before the school year even started." He told us with his smooth country accent.

"Yes, sir, we understand and we are more than willing to catch up with the rest of the team." Cayden said in his usual 'ass-kissing' tone.

"No 'sir', I ain't that old yet, boy." Coach Farmer commented. "If any of you don't know how to play the game then you better leave now. If any of you are freshmen or sophomores, you can follow them."

A couple of kids left but it didn't make much of a dent in our group. All of us were willing to work with each other, vampires, werewolves, sirens, wizard kids, hell even the mermen. But I noticed that it became two groups at the school. The supernatural and humans. Even if the humans didn't know about us, they still separated from us.

"Now the rest of you, go to the locker rooms and get out your gear. You will use the practice ones and choose a color between yellow and green." He instructed us and the assistant guided us to the lockers.

———

"I'm just saying that what you did makes you come off as a dick," Cayden told me as we exited the lockers.

"I am a dick," I told him, running my fingers through my deep red hair.

"But you shouldn't be a dick to her." He said.

"She's with that bloodsucker," I growled and Cayden rolled his eyes.

"She doesn't know he's what he is. She doesn't know what you are. Give her some slack, she doesn't understand." He stopped me and the rest of the boys walked around us. "Plus you have to think about your mate. She's out there and better than Spencer."

He didn't know that Spencer is her. That no one can ever be better than her. She is everything, she is beautiful and intelligent. She is funny and quirky. She's kind and understanding. She has little habits that make my heart skip beats. Like when she bites her bottom lip when she's concentrating. Or when she embarrassedly has to pull out her glasses from her bag. What she doesn't know is that those glasses added to her gorgeousness. I love the way she pulls back her long blonde hair into a loose ponytail, her baby hair sticking out in places.

I thought about her a lot.

"Yeah," I told him trying to change the subject. "I was just jealous."

"Well stop." He said walking away from me.

I couldn't stop. Diego is a mean, sarcastic bloodsucking bastard that doesn't deserve a girl like Spencer. I hated the way that he would tuck Spencer's hair behind her ear. The way his eyes sparkled with excitement when she came into view. He damn well knows that he's doing this to push my buttons.

I hurried to the field with the rest of the boys and Coach began to tell us what to do. The rest of the time, I was playing the Spencer on my mind.