07

07

JACKSON HALE

I walked into my large house with Cayden following me shortly behind. He put his phone in his sweats before entering my house. At the doorway, we slipped off our shoes and pushed them nicely against the wall. My toes wiggled in my socks on the hardwood floor.

"Sweetie?" My mother called from the kitchen. A chicken scent trailing to my nose and my mouth watered. "Is that you?"

"Yeah, Ma!" I answered. "Cayden too."

"Oh, great!" She exclaimed. "Come to the kitchen!"

Both of us walked towards my Ma and her cooking. The smell got stronger as we got closer. The first thing I saw was my younger sister, Claire, on the computer with a frustrated face. I loved it when she did that, she always stuck out her tongue subconsciously. It was a bad habit she used to concentrate. Claire is in middle school, in 8th grade, but she is the most mature person I've ever met.

"Fuck me gently with a chainsaw." She grumbled under her breath. Cayden chuckled behind me.

"What now?" I asked. She hated electronics because it never agrees with her.

"This fucking computer isn't taking my password!" She exclaimed.

"Language!" My Ma scolded.

"Sorry, Ma." She apologized, still looking at the computer screen.

I sighed and grabbed the computer from her, she groaned as I put in her password. It accepted it and let me in. I turned to Claire who was staring behind me. I nudged her shoulder with mine and she snapped her head to me.

"It hates me." She complained.

"Yes, it does," I tell her. I looked at Ma, still leaning on the counter.

"How was your first full day of school?" Ma asked as she cooked more.

"Humans are weird," Cayden answered behind me.

"You guys are lucky. I wish I could've gone with the high school." Claire said sadly.

"Maybe you shouldn't have gotten held back," I tell her playfully but she just glares at me.

"That was third grade and I'm sorry but y'all didn't teach me to read until the teacher demanded that you do." She said.

"I liked your third-grade teacher," Ma commented. "She looked out for you guys. She didn't care if we were an Alpha family. She would put us in our place when it came to our kids. Still respected us though."