10

*10

*
10

SPENCER MURDOCK

I parked my car in the driveway of Diego's house and took a deep breath. I knew I was going to have to convince Diego's family that we're dating and he's not interested in boys but now that I'm here I'm terrified. I couldn't calm down my breathing, my chest heaved up and down like a maniac.

I grabbed my phone and scrolled through my contacts looking for anyone that could calm me down. My finger quickly pressed the call button on my dad's contact.

It rang but no one answered leaving me straight to voicemail.

I sighed and hung up before scrolling through again. My nerves were still very much alive and I don't think I could go through with this. I just need to talk to some that can calm me down. Someone, I felt safe talking to and being with. Someone I trust.

Without thinking I pressed the call button and lifted the phone to my ear. For a good while, the phone rang through the Bluetooth connection to the car and my heart beat faster.

"Hello?" He answered with a hint of grogginess.

"Hi."

"Uh- Who is this?" He asked.

"Spencer," I muttered nervously. "Um- from school. I was your tour leader and we briefly met at the Rally. Well, and the cafe."

"Oh, how did you get my number?"

"Oh - haha - uh," god I'm so awkward, "your friend Tori said that I might need it so she gave it to me after the Rally."

He muttered something to someone else that I couldn't hear. The guy responded and I felt relief that it wasn't female.

"Jackson?" I called into the phone and the other side shuffled around. "Hello?"

"Yeah, sorry." He responded.

"Look I just wanted to call and ask if you and Cassie are - uh - like a thing?" I went into a mumble. There was an awkward silence on the other end and I shook my head in embarrassment. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked. I should go-"

"No. Um, Cassie and I aren't a... thing." He said the last thing like it was foreign on his tongue.

"Oh, uh- well, do you want to have like - uh - coffee?" I asked.

"Uh..." Jackson drawled out.

"Jesus Christ, I'm usually good at this," I mumbled.