04

*04

*
04

SPENCER MURDOCK

His hazel eyes, the ones that change colors in the sunlight.

Punch.

His smile when he looks at me.

Punch.

His chuckle when I'm being 'adorable'.

Kick.

"Good." My father says watching me hit the punching bag. "Now go to the mat." I knew that meant I had to spar with him.

Before my mother was taken from us a few years ago, both of my parents treated me like a spoiled princess. I had gotten everything I wanted and more. And then, on a regular saturday night, my mother was mugged when she was getting into her car. The thieves pull the trigger on her and injured the driver. Ever since then my father became extremely cold to me.

I stepped onto the mat breathlessly, he stood there in position waiting for the first strike. I gave it to him, throwing my fist through the air and barely missing him as he ducked.

My father decided to train me to fight, he was pretty badass himself seeing as he served our country for over a decade. His only regret in life was not training my mom to defend herself. My father blamed himself for not being a good enough husband to save her. To show his wife how to survive and it devastated him. He wasn't going to make the same mistake with me.

I cut my leg through the air aiming at my father's head. He caught my ankle and threw me to the ground. He held my leg against his chest and pressed his knee against my stomach hard enough to keep me in place but not to hurt me.

So when I turned 12, he started to train me and I've been doing it ever since.

"Don't go easy on me, old man," I told my father. He chuckled and then twisted my leg earning a stabbing pain. I yelped and gripped the mat beneath me.

I raised my other leg, fighting through the pain, and wrapped it around his neck. My hips buckled in the air for a better grip. Using my muscles, I clench my leg choking him. Now, all we have to do is wait for the first person to tap out. And it isn't going to be me.

I breathed through the stabbing feeling and the cracking of my bones. I could see my father's pale face redden as the air left him. He hadn't tapped out, he will be like that until he passes out. I heart banged harshly against my chest and sweat beads down my forehead. I let out a few groans from pain.