25

*25

*
25

JACKSON HALE

I've been pathetically lying in Cayden's bed all morning. Occasionally weeping at the loss of my father. Sometimes feeling angry at the world and whatever started that damn fire. Beta Fredrick came in to tell me that they have witnesses placing a human by the house. This human was a female with a weapon by her side gasoline but before anyone could stop her she disappeared. Suddenly, the house was in flames and Beta Fredrick's team didn't find her. I knew it was the man we'd been looking for. Of course, he has helped, it would be stupid not to assume that. One question weighed in my mind more than my father's death and the hunters.

Am I ready to become Alpha?

I groan as the bandages wrapped around my burnt waist rub up against the sheet of the bed. Our wolf doctor had told me that I will heal in the next few days but it'll leave a light scar. Something to remind me of what happened. My father's face followed me everywhere I looked, I couldn't speak without feeling the need to cry for him. But, my father would never have wanted me to act this way. I am supposed to be alpha, I am to be strong and keep our name's reputation. Me, Claire, and mom are the family of one of the greatest alphas in our time. It was a name to live up to and the council would have extremely high expectations. And that scared me.

A light knock on the door awakened me from my thoughts. The wooden entry creaked open just a tad and I said nothing in return. I hadn't been talking to anyone, I just needed time to think about my next move. Will I take up the throne or give it to someone worthier than me?

"Jackson," Tori whispered but I gave no reply, "Spencer is here, I'm sending her in."

My heart raced at her name and I got happier that I could finally see her. I wanted to hold her in my arms just so I know she is safe. She's never going to leave my side, I will always be her protector.

The scent of my mate flew into the room and taunted my nose. Soon, she came in. A perfect picture of beauty. She wore a black long-sleeve shirt that hugged her petite body and tuck into a grey skirt that ended just above mid-thigh. She was beautiful in her adorable outfit. I wanted to get up and embrace her. But my body ached and my eyes burned from all the tears.

Spencer gasped at my state. "Jackson." She whispered I could see the tears forming in her hazel eyes.

"It's not as bad as it looks," I mumble under my breath.

"Like hell!" She exclaimed.

"Baby, I'm okay. The doctor says I'll be all healed in a few days." I tried to calm her down, she looked stressed about my appearance and I wouldn't blame her. My body is basically wrapped in bandages and I haven't taken a shower, other than wiping off the ash from my skin, since the fire.

Since my father died.

"Are you okay?" She asks as if she could sense my thoughts.

"Not quite," I admit. Spencer shuffles over to me with a sad face. She never had to hide her emotions from me so she wore them on her sleeves.

"Scoot over." She mumbled. Spencer never brought up the loss of my father which I was glad about at the time. I don't feel comfortable talking about it but when I do, she'll be the first I go to.

I obeyed my girlfriend and slid over the bed enough for her to get on it. She rested her wrist on my neck and left her palm on my cheek, cupping it. I loved it, just this action gave me a sense of safety that I never knew I could feel. My body subconsciously fell deeper into her hold.

"Diego and Camilla are in the living room with your mother." She mumbles into my neck.

"Why?" I asked, kind of uninterested. It surprised me but vampires are not my concern right now.

"I was at Diego's when I heard. They wanted to support you, I assume." She explains.

Although Diego and I aren't the best of friends, I am quite happy that he - and his sister - came to my home just to see if I was alright. Or maybe that's not the case, they could be here for an entirely different reason. But after my night of bad, I want to see some good.

"I'll talk to them later, then," I say looking up at the ceiling.

"Are you sure you are up to it?" She whispers.

"Of course, I'm up to it," I mumble. Spencer cups the bottom of my jaw that's opposite to hers and caressed my sling with her thumb.

"He's going to be proud of you. You'll make an excellent alpha." She whispers in my ear.

"How do you know?" I mumble under my breath. Unable to look into her eyes.

Spencer lifts her head up to look at me and expresses her shock. There must be something that she's seeing and I'm not. Something about me that only my mate could sense because I can't see it. There's nothing obvious about me that makes me a good leader.

"Jackson Hale." She mumbles as she softly kisses my lips. "You are brave and kind, and caring. Everyone sees that and everyone knows that you would sacrifice everything to protect them. They trust you. These are the reasons that I," I looked at her and her eyes softened. "I love you."

I look into her beautiful green eyes and smile at her words. Finally. "I love you too." She bites her bottom lip and smirks.

"You're so awesome." She murmurs as she cuddles in closer to me. 

"Hmm, really? I didn't notice." I joke and she socks my arm. "Ow!" I exclaim overdramatically. "I am damaged!"

"Damaged my ass, you're going to be fine in a few days. You're a werewolf." She whispered in my ear. Sure, I'll be fine in less than a week. Maybe a few scars but what about my pack? They are going to want me to be this strong-minded leader but I can't even talk without the loss of my father splitting me up.

I wanted to honor him and maybe that can give up all closure. "I think I'm going to have a Moon Stone Pack funeral for my father for the first act as alpha. But I need you to be by my side, Spencer." I tell her, my eyes begin to feel heavy; I needed to take a nap.

"Always."