13

*

*

13

JACKSON HALE

I looked into Spencer's glossy hazel eyes as she stared, frightened, at me. She searches my face for any answers to what just happened before. Me... shifting from my natural state to my human form and Derek reveals himself as a bloodsucking vampire. The mythical monsters lurking in the shadows. it reminded me of the split between our two species and how little I know about humans. 

Looking away from Spencer, I searched for the tall, blonde boy but he has nowhere to be seen. I let out a low growl at the images of what happened. Derek's fangs on her neck, his grip around her waist, and the dazed scared look on her face. It makes my blood boil. I wanted to kill the fanged asshole.

"He's gone," Spencer whispers, her hand on my chest. I look down at her damp face and smile lightly. My fingers run down her slick straight ponytail and rest them gently on her small waist. The fabric of her yoga pants rubs against my palms as she scoots closer to me. Our chests touched and my arms were around her. 

The wolf within me courted the beautiful human with light, soft touches, and a protective embrace. Once I witnessed Derek and Spencer, I couldn't let her go tonight. Like now, we were so close to each other, I could fan my breath against her cheek just by whispering sweet nothings.

"Spencer," I breathe restlessly.

"Jackson?" She asks lowly, I sigh and press my forehead against hers. "What's happening?"

I decided, in the tense moment, I couldn't continue to lie to her. I respected Spencer too much to treat her like she was clueless. "I'm- uh- a werewolf and Derek was a vampire."

"A vampire?" She pulled away shocked, her eyes widened but still ever so curious. "He's Diego's brother, how?" Spencer's eyes begged me for the answer. "I don't understand, Jackson."

"Diego is one too. His whole family is." I explain; I couldn't really talk about it all right now. Speaking this out in the open of the human town is against the rules, especially speaking to Spencer about it. But I didn't even know how I got from my house to here. I just felt like I had to. Like everything in my body was pulling me to see her. And I did it without thinking.

"I-I- what?" She was in disbelief. I can't have her going home alone and potentially telling the world what she just saw. Do I trust her?

"I need you to come to my house and we can talk about it with my family," I tell her but she instantly tenses.

"No. I want you to tell me alone. We'll go back to my house, my dad's not home tonight." She says, I grin at her suggestion. She really wants to know, not run away but know what's going on.