16

*16

*
16

SPENCER MURDOCK

I walked into the cafe for a shift; I haven't gotten to work for a while. Jeff is usually in charge of creating the schedule but for some reason, my name hasn't been showing up. Finally, I got a personal text from in saying that I should come in today. I assumed it was for work but when I walked in the only person I saw was Diego. He sat by the window looking out and sipping on some warm coffee. 

Hesitantly, I walked toward him with held breath. He's supposed to be dangerous, a vampire, someone who can kill me in an instant. But from the time I spent with him, he didn't give me the vibe that he wants to hurt me. More than that he was excited to be my friend and maybe happy that it bothered Jackson. His brother on the other hand... well, that's a different story.

"Diego," I mutter, my head hung low and skeptical. He looks at me and smiles as he takes a sip of his coffee before ushering me to sit in front of him. On the side of the cup was his name written in my best friend's handwriting with a heart at the end of it.

"Spencer," He replies, his voice hoarse and soft. I take a seat and watch as his perfect Spanish features go from worry to guilt. "My brother told me about what he did." Diego paused. "I'm so sorry."

I just looked at him, I didn't know what to say. His eyebrows pierced together and his eyes held a bit of pain. All I knew was that I'm not mad at him. Scared? maybe. But I understand why he kept it from me. I understand why all of them kept this secret from me. 

"I am sorry for lying to you, for what he did and how he did it. I understand if you don't to be friends anymore, I just wanted to tell you that." He finished, satisfied with his determination.

I looked around the room and sighed. "Where's Jeff?" I asked curiously. Deigo looked at me with a little hint of hurt in his eyes.

Sighing, he spoke, "He's fine. I didn't hurt him. He left a few minutes before you showed up." He told me.

"No, it's not that I'm afraid. He texted me to come in so I assumed he'd be here." I explained.

"I told him to text you. I needed to talk about everything." Diego looked around before leaning to whisper lowly. "Whatever you need me to do to fix all of this, I'll do it. I didn't know until Derek told me what he did but I need you. You're my only friend and I care about you so much."

My heart broke at Diego's words once I saw how scared he is to lose me. Of course, in the last few weeks of knowing him, I built a bond that I didn't even want to tear down. Pretending to date each other, going out into town, and laughing together. Creating memories of good moments I didn't want to lose either.

"I'm not mad, I need you too. I'm just really surprised, I have a lot of questions. Jackson talked to me about his side of things but I know that you're quite different from him." I didn't even want to mention the words 'werewolf' or 'vampire' because of how public we are.