19

*

*

19

JACKSON HALE

"Moist." She teased through the phone.

"Jesus, Tori, you know I don't like that word." I groaned from my driver's seat.

"You know I don't like secrets being kept from me." She shot back, her annoying voice erupting through the speakers.

"We had a good reason." I tried to dig myself out but it wasn't working well.

"Moist! Moist, Jackson, moist!" Tori exclaimed loudly. I cringed deeply, the word disgusting me.

"I've got to go!" I yell over her yelling the same word... over and over. I hung up the phone, which was connected to the car, and sighed in relief. I was glad she picked up the phone, I had to warn her about Derek and what he had done to my mate. It infuriated me beyond any words I could use to describe it. Derek was pushing all the buttons to make me want to put him six feet under. How dare he lay hands on my mate. She means more to me than anyone in the world until she bares my pups. Until we start a family, and I wasn't going to let Derek get in the way of that. Over my dead, cold body will I let him touch my family.

I pulled the car next to the curb and put it in the park. The engine still running and Spencer's house is in full view. I didn't want to get down just yet, my limbs being nervous to formally meet the dad. Just a couple more seconds of contemplating on either this dinner are important or not. I finally turn off my car and get out. My shoes hit the gravel beneath me and the sun beats down on my skin.

I play with my yellow wool band on my wrist with my sister's name plastered in bold blue. The car door closes and I catch my car reflection in the dark window. Why did I choose this shirt? I look like a fricken tourist. I pulled my cap down a little and headed off to the house.

My heart thumped against my chest the closer I got to my Spencer. I smell the delicious scent she gave, I could feel her excitement. I could basically hear her angelic laughter erupt from her. My lips formed a small smile in amusement. Spencer is definitely the girl of my dreams.

Striding to the door, I knock on the hardwood and waited for 'death' to answer it. And it did. The door creaked open to reveal the tall intimidating man I had connected with over breakfast before. My eyes glanced over his really nice suit, it looks more expensive than my house and cars combined. I looked back up at the handsome man's face and felt jealous that I could look even a little bit like that.

"Kid." He acknowledged, holding out his hand, and accepted it. "Mija, your boyfriend is here!" He exclaimed into the house. I heard the slaps of bare feet hitting the tile, her scent coming my way.