06

*06

*
06

SPENCER MURDOCK

I felt red everywhere, I didn't see it but I felt it. I could smell the blood, I didn't even know blood could smell like that. But the crimson red was nowhere to be found. It was just my mom, and me looking up at her. She seemed so tall like she could touch the clouds.

"Get in the ca-" and then I saw it. The blood shot out of her head like a squirt gun. I didn't hear the shot, the booming of the gun was silent.

I saw my mother drop to the floor, her eyes lifeless. I held her in my arms, her head was as heavy as boulders. My tears mixed in with her pool of blood. My skin was stained with it. I couldn't breathe.

Suddenly, strong arms grip me and begin pulling me into the unknown.

"No! Mommy!" I yelled but it came out all muffled and weird. At least I thought it sounded weird. I let out a loud scream but it was the same. Covered by the sound of silence.

As the unknown men pulled me away from my lifeless mother, who now looked so far away, I felt myself get weaker. I got hungrier with every inch they pulled me. My eyes got heavier and my body became skinnier. Until I was left in complete darkness.

No hands on my little body. No one pulling me away. Nothing around me but darkness and a spotlight that didn't have a source. It lit up the barrel of a gun pointed directly at my limp head.

A burst of clown-y laughter erupted from an echoed distance like he was far away but he wasn't. He was right there in front of me, threatening my life.

And then it happened. The loud bang of a gunshot. The only thing I heard clearly.

I woke up in a deep sweat and the sound of gunshots coming from the song on the radio surrounded me. I steadied my heavy breathing and looked at the time. I've been asleep for an hour. Sighing, I turned the car off and glanced out the window at the café.

I'm supposed to be meeting Diego there, some kind of coffee date. I wish it was with Jackson instead. I'd like to get to know more about him. His family. Of course, I'd have to lie about mine if he ever asked. Some people might think it's odd that my father has been training me to fight a battle that doesn't exist.

I get out of the car with my bag over my shoulder and lock the door behind me. My heels give the familiar click on the black tar road as I cross the street. I reach the glass door of the café and hesitantly open it. Walking in, Jeff is wiping the wooden tables with his rag. He catches my eyes and immediately stops what he's doing.